Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2021, 08:40 PM

Default iPad for the rear seater?

I searched the forum but only found some older threads on this. Could I install an iPad for the rear seater, and have it linked to the data hotspot on my iPad up front to run foreflight? I'd need two foreflight subs I'd assume. I'm new to iPads and foreflight so bear with me here.

Best secure mounting option?
Old 06-18-2021, 08:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

As I recall, John Stahr has this setup in his RV8.

Not sure how he is sending data to the ipad.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-19-2021, 01:18 AM

I have not tested it, but Foreflight has a feature called "passenger" that will share what you see on the main ipad with another ipad or iphone - and you don't have to pay for a second subscription.

There are a million ipad mounting options and the RV-8 pilot seatback weldement provides a good mount point.

https://www.arkon.com

These guys have a lot of mounts and they are pretty cheap. I figured I'd start with one of theirs to find the right way to do it, and if it does not hold well enough, I'll buy the more expensive RAM mount. So far, the mount I have for the front is fine, so I'll probably use them for the rear.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2021, 03:11 AM

Default Dual iPad

Yes, you can absolutely run two iPads with ForeFlight. It only requires one subscription, as a single subscription allows for a backup device (plus and iPhone I think). I’m not entirely sure what you mean by data hub connection….. if you mean connection to a stratus, that will work and feed both devices with ads-b.

I’m not sure if the devices will crossfill route changes and such though. I believe that requires a live internet connection but I’m of 100% sure. Maybe someone else has tried that and can comment….
Dues 2021 ✅
Old 06-19-2021, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNiendorff View Post
Yes, you can absolutely run two iPads with ForeFlight. It only requires one subscription, as a single subscription allows for a backup device (plus and iPhone I think). I’m not entirely sure what you mean by data hub connection….. if you mean connection to a stratus, that will work and feed both devices with ads-b.

I’m not sure if the devices will crossfill route changes and such though. I believe that requires a live internet connection but I’m of 100% sure. Maybe someone else has tried that and can comment….
It doesn’t require an internet connection as long as both devices are on the same network, like the uAvionix or Stratux network. Works great with updates. We use it all the time to update flight plans.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:36 AM

I installed a mount on the back of the front seat of my -4 so I can hang an iPad mini running Foreflight. I did this to better engage my kids while flying with them. The system has worked well so far and the kids like to see where we are and like to identify traffic for me.

I have plans to install a wireless AHRS of some sort so I can take advantage of the attitude information Foreflight can display, again to get the kids more involved.

I tried the Foreflight Passenger, but find using the 2nd (free) Foreflight subscription to be better. The photos below show the mount and the installed iPad. The stick misses the iPad by an inch or so.

Good luck,

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	12805  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	12806  
Old 06-19-2021, 10:49 AM

Default Where did you get that mount

Heh Dean ...where did you get that mount for rearseat IPAD. CHEERS Stew
Old 06-19-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbronco View Post
Heh Dean ...where did you get that mount for rearseat IPAD. CHEERS Stew
Hi Stew,

The mount comes from here: https://mygoflight.com/collections/mount-type-bolted

The adapter to accommodate the seat back geometry is a printed part. I would be happy to share the CAD file, if you like.

Regards,

Dean
Old 06-22-2021, 10:27 AM

I'd love to get that CAD file if you wouldn't mind sending it over. moespeeds at gmail

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Pichon View Post
Hi Stew,

The mount comes from here: https://mygoflight.com/collections/mount-type-bolted

The adapter to accommodate the seat back geometry is a printed part. I would be happy to share the CAD file, if you like.

Regards,

Dean
Old 06-23-2021, 05:12 PM

My wish is that ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot would allow air data to be shared from a G3X to an iPad. I.E. the iPad would display indicated airspeed and altitude as a repeater of the PFD, vice GPS derived information. Seems all the required components are there, just a software design that ties it all together.