Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:23 PM

Default RV-4 Paint

Paint decisions,
My plane is not intended to be a show plane. Just something to fly and look reasonably good. I am using a local auto paint shop to shoot the paint.

I plan to use the "Prekote" treatment instead of alodine, prime, paint, then use Vinyl decals for numbers and accents.

The local paint store recommended the PPG CPC single stage urethane paint. Does anyone have experience with this product?

Or they said I could spend 4X and use the PPG Concept?

Any advice on any part of my plan?
Old 06-16-2021, 05:40 PM

Just for fun, do a web search on painting airplanes with latex. Pretty amazing...
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 06-16-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully73 View Post
Paint decisions,
My plane is not intended to be a show plane. Just something to fly and look reasonably good. I am using a local auto paint shop to shoot the paint.

I plan to use the "Prekote" treatment instead of alodine, prime, paint, then use Vinyl decals for numbers and accents.

The local paint store recommended the PPG CPC single stage urethane paint. Does anyone have experience with this product?

Or they said I could spend 4X and use the PPG Concept?

I think your low cost plan is great. Keep it in a hangar and the paint will be happy for decades.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 06-16-2021, 09:16 PM

Default Painting

I bought PPG ESSS Single stage polyurethane paint for my RV 14. My painter really liked using it and it came out great. Used factory pack GM 50 Olympic white (chevy truck white) cost about $108.00 a gallon plus activator and hardener. Beats a gallon of Jet Glo aviation paint.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:56 PM

I say go for it, I used a single stage Urethane paint (Nason) and am happy enough with the end result. It's not show winning quality and probably looks like a first time painters job, but also being a first time builder it fits with my project. And it cost me less than $1000...

Having zero prior experience with painting meant I just went with the paint shop recommendations.

Prep was a thorough go over with scotchbrite and detergent, rinse and dry, wipe down with wax and grease remover, light coat of etch primer, light rub down with scotchbrite to remove any dust or bugs etc then more wipe down with wax & grease remover then the top coat. I did paint components individually before assembly.

Time will tell how it stands up but it seems to be a robust and forgiving paint to use.

Russell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finn RV 3B (1).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	12719  Click image for larger version

Name:	Finn RV 3B (2).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	12720  
Old 06-16-2021, 10:14 PM

Thumbs up

2nd for Nason Ful-Thane 2K Urethane

Easy to shoot and has nice flow out and gloss.

First Flight 7/17/2021!!
- Been there, Donated 2021
Old 06-16-2021, 10:43 PM

Default Excellent Paint Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully73 View Post
<snip>
Just today, I saw the final results of a C-182 painted with that very same paint. It was a 3-tone color scheme using retro Ford colors from the 1950s. This was the pilot/restorer's first experience painting an airplane, and it came out beautifully----no orange peel, excellent gloss and holdout with only 2 topcoats. He turned his hangar into a paint booth and was also able to shoot the entire aircraft with minimal nib issues.

I think you're going to be very happy with PPG. I used the Concept two-stage system, but like you say, it is much more pricey, and usually heavier than a single-stage topcoat.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:18 PM

PPG makes very nice paint. Their single stage urethane is my go to for odd color matches.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:16 AM

Default PPG Desothane

PPG Desothane is their premier aircraft coating. Its single stage and very tough. I painted my RV-4 with Desothane white 12 years ago, and don't even have a scratch. We use it for commercial aircraft at my day job. Easy to shoot, I painted mine myself and used the PPG DP series primer after a scotchbrite and soapy water scrub down. I also applied a cheescloth application of Alodine and rinse prior to the primer.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:55 PM

Default RV4 Paint

Use the best paint you can afford. I used Nason and it has held up reasonably well for the last 14 years. With that said, Nason paint will stain. Oil on belly will turn Nason white paint a dingy, brownish tinted white. Fuel will stain the paint if you leave it on the paint as in a leaking fuel cap. I have personal experience with the paint staining. My airplane looks great but I wish I had used a better paint.
1949 C140A N9641A