- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:32 PM

Default 'Final' Version of Panel?

OK, chime in everyone. This is what I am planning for my panel (except the foam will be replaced with AL and the hand painted labels will be in some cool font that is easy to read. More advice on this later) unless you have compelling arguments against. Remember, this is a consensus airplane!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel Mockup with Center v2.1.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	10546  
Slo Fuse Completed 3-2-21
Wiring and Avionics Begun 3-3-21
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
Thunderbolt EXP119 expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Reserved: N52XL
Old 04-19-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedy.va View Post
working with the panel
Good move to break the trend and move the clunky Garmin autopilot box down low. Along the same line, I suggest you reverse the Audio Panel and GTN-650 so the GTN-650 is on top. If the GTN-650 is too deep to go on top, then just move the Audio Panel and GTN-650 up as high as possible. The GTN-650 moving map is not very useful (and what you need to see is on your EFIS Moving Map display anyway) but when you need to fat finger in the latest controller revised routing, having it up high makes it easier to see.

Carl
Old 06-05-2021, 06:52 AM

Probably most RV-14 panels have a 10" display on the left and another one on the right side. In the center some radios, GPS, audio etc.

I am wondering, are you really using the right hand side 10" display as an MFD or is it placed too far to the right?
From looking at the pictures I can imagine that the pilot does not really use anything that's right of the central radio stack.
In a G1000 setup the second screen (MFD) is much nearer to the PFD and can be reached more easily.

Edit:
Is this configuration possible with the RV-14? I remember there are struts around the center stack in behind the panel, right?
https://vansairforce.net/community/a...5&d=1600767133

Malte

Last edited by MalteJ : 06-05-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteJ View Post
Probably most RV-14 panels have a 10" display on the left and another one on the right side. In the center some radios, GPS, audio etc.

I am wondering, are you really using the right hand side 10" display as an MFD or is it placed too far to the right?
From looking at the pictures I can imagine that the pilot does not really use anything that's right of the central radio stack.
In a G1000 setup the second screen (MFD) is much nearer to the PFD and can be reached more easily.

Edit:
Is this configuration possible with the RV-14? I remember there are struts around the center stack in behind the panel, right?

Malte
I use the 10" screen on the right side all of the time. Usually I keep up weather or destination airport information data or just an expanded chart (VFR or IFR) enroute. As far as the center position, you will need to remove center stack structure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200114_095040 (Large).jpg
Views:	392
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	12272  

CFI-I ASMEL, ATP

RV-14A kit # 140243 (flying as of 11/18)

www.mykitlog.com/chrismoon/
Old 06-07-2021, 09:40 AM

On the RV-9A, I run split screens on both sides. One reason, of course, is to have more windows. But there's more to it.

If you look at the information content of maps and the PFD, almost all the useful information is in the center of the window. If you run split screens on the right screen, it moves that most useful information to the left, closer to the pilot.

And I almost never run full screen on the left side for the PFD. All of that screen space outside of the tapes has very little useful information, just extensions of the horizon. The two little windows, bottom left and right, are too small to show as much as I'd like, and they're limited in what data can be shown and clunky to switch the data displayed. Besides, when you touch one to expand it, it takes up half the screen anyway.

And I run round dials. I've never found a technical report comparing tapes and dials. Round dials are as good as tapes in some situations, better than tapes in the rest, but that's another topic for another thread.

I bought my plane already flying, and it was too much hassle to get the G5 out of the center of the panel, but here's how I almost always subdivide my screens. And no idea why google images was uncooperative...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Nv...-no?authuser=0
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...

Last edited by Ed_Wischmeyer : 06-07-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Good move to break the trend and move the clunky Garmin autopilot box down low... (referring to the GTN650) need to fat finger in the latest controller revised routing, having it up high makes it easier to see.
My experience is different. Having the autopilot up top means that your eye motion is horizontal whereas putting the autopilot on the bottom of the stack requires a vertical eye motion which is to be avoided whenever possible, especially IFR. I find that the Heading and Altitude knobs are very accessible on the top of the stack with no interference from the power controls. Having spent quite some time analyzing bizjet autopilot controllers, the Garmin controller is free of many deficiencies of those bizjet controllers. Thus, I have no idea what makes the autopilot controller "clunky."

In my plane, the GTN was installed (before I bought the plane) in the middle of the stack but at least it's not at the bottom.

There's a whole lot of personal preference that goes into these kinds of panel discussions, some of it consistent with good user interface practices, some not. Often, personal preference is driven by past experience, both good and bad. Just to make things interesting, there are no obvious right and wrong answers, until some day some corner condition leads to an accident.
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteJ View Post

Edit:

Malte
Good question! I wonder how much of a re-engineering job it would be?

Does anybody have any info?

F
Old 06-09-2021, 07:52 AM

To be honest .. I've never used the second screen, everything on the Garmin is so well organized on the PFD. The MFD is to give passengers something to play with/look at.

I would still do it again, because the panel would look silly to me now without the second screen.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 06-10-2021, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
To be honest ... I've never used the second screen...
Same for Dynon Skyview. It all fits on one screen.
- donation 12/18/2020 * 2
Old 06-10-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
To be honest .. I've never used the second screen, everything on the Garmin is so well organized on the PFD. The MFD is to give passengers something to play with/look at.
That's exactly what I thought.
You use the PFD in split-screen mode? Do you fly IFR?

Malte