Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:31 PM

Default NE US Coastal trip

Hello all.

I'm planning a trip up the NE US coast next month for about 11 or 12 days. We will be departing from Atlanta. Our current plan is Ocean City NJ (26N), Cape Cod Gateway (HYA), and Bar Harbor ME (BHB). Of course I will fly up the Hudson River on the the way to Cape Cod! On the way back, we are planning on stopping in Tangier Island (TGI) for a few hours and then probably spend the night at Kitty Hawk, First Flight Airport (FFA) before heading back.

So far, we have our accommodations in BHB and we have the reservations for the Cadillac Summit Road in Acadia NP. But that's a s far as I've gotten. I'm looking for recommendations suggestions for anything including:

Fuel stops
Lodging
Restaurants
Things to do
Day trips

I've heard Cape Cod Airfield and Chatham Muni are nice airports. I'm planning on staging out of HYA unless you suggest otherwise. We are planning on a day trip to Martha's Vineyard Katama Airfield (1B2) and walking to the beach, but I don't know how I would get around to see the rest of the island. I'm also planning a day trip to Provincetown (PVC) and going to The Lobster Pot for lunch. My goal is to have crab or lobster every day!

Thank you for your help!

Jerry
Old 05-24-2021, 04:56 PM

You might be interested to review Kevin and Jaime Thornton's YouTube vlog a.k.a. "310 Pilot". They did an 11-part video tour flying through New England called "New England Swing". I'm sure you'd get some good ideas for such a tour, and if you had questions you could email him through his website https://www.310pilot.net/ . Really nice people.

Their New England Swing starts here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4WBKb6gt2w
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff
Old 05-24-2021, 05:51 PM

Jerry,

The Vineyard transit system can take you to most of the island, and there's a stop at Katama - https://www.vineyardtransit.com/site...n_2021_map.pdf

Hard to tell what gas prices will be in June, but some places that usually have decent prices are -

- 6B6 (Minute Man, Stow MA)
- CON (Concord NH)
- 8B1 (Hawthorne-Feather, Antrim NH)
- AFN (Jaffrey NH)
- LCI (Laconia NH)

Runway conditions at 8B1 and AFN are a bit rough. LCI is in the NH Lakes Region, lots of beautiful scenery.

Lots of good airport diners/restaurants in eastern MA/NH/ME -

- PYM (Plymouth MA)
- ASH (Nashua NH)
- SFM (Sanford ME)
- 63B (Limington ME)
- 6B6 has a great takeout restaurant with outdoor seating that's open on the weekends.
- The Katama restaurant just changed hands, don't know when it's reopening.
- 7B3 (Hampton NH) has a great restaurant and is a nice little airport to boot...gas prices aren't quite as cheap there, but it's a great place to stop and is on the way from the Cape to Maine if you go east of the BOS Class B.

If you plan to stop at ASH, let me know...that's my home 'drome and maybe we can meet for lunch!

HTH

Dave
RV-7 N701ED Flying!
Nashua, NH (KASH) / Plymouth, NH (1P1)
Old 05-24-2021, 07:07 PM

I don't think first flight allows overnight parking. I would check. No fuel and parking is limited. Less than a mile walk to food. But an absolute must stop.

Ocean City NJ is a good spot. Close to the boardwalk. If OC NJ doesn't work out for some reason, Ocean City, MD would be a reasonable alternate, quick uber to the beach.

WWD and MIV have food on the field.

Consider Bay Bridge W29. Close to Annapolis, walking distance to good food.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:32 PM

You've done the course on ADIZ/DC SFAR?

This rule impacts any pilot who intends to operate VFR within 60 miles of the DCA VOR/DME. Pilots have to complete the free online course offered at www.faasafety.gov or attend an FAA Safety Program seminar offered by local flight standards district offices (FSDOs)....

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/...ng.aspx?cID=41
Old 05-24-2021, 07:55 PM

Default W29 Bay Bridge Airport on Maryland Eastern Shore

Here is a suggestion that will be hard to pass up: Make a reservation at the Inn at Chesapeake Bay (google it) and land at W29. Just 50 ft outside the airport gate to eat Maryland crabs outdoors served on a picnic table, walk 1/3 mile to stay at the hotel. I will even loan you a free spare car & and you can visit Historic Annapolis MD and/or US Naval Academy. Drive five miles east and enjoy infamous Red Eye's Dock Bar, The Jetty, or Fishermen's Inn & Crab Deck. Maryland Seafood & Waterfront dining EVERYWHERE! Heck, if you are here on the weekend and the weather right you can join me for a full day boating trip to Historic St Michaels MD: The little town that fooled the British!! (Sorry I will be out of town 6/10 thru 6/16. but the car is still available) Tie Downs $10 night last i looked, the Hotels around here are pricey (resort area) but the food & beverages are reasonable and everything else I mentioned is FREE. "Land of Pleasant Living" Best contact is email: esealing at gmail .com Would enjoy meeting you! (Or anyone else on this Forum) Ed S.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:16 AM

Default block island

KBID has it all for aviators traveling thru. sea food, beaches, history via taxi tour, shopping, easy to get around. perfect lunch stop.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 05-25-2021, 09:01 AM

Hi Jerry, BHB is my home airport, so feel free to shoot me a message or give me a call (Maine area code) 576-9378 if you have questions or run into any trouble while you're up here.

-Jason
Old 05-25-2021, 09:55 AM

Default Additional thoughts

Tangier and First Flight are both interesting stops.

Ocracoke (W95) is also a good Outer Banks destination, and has food within walking distance of the airport. Very scenic.

Williamsburg (KJGG) has a great little airport restaurant on the field.

Chatham on Cape Cod (KCQX) has Hangar B Eatery on the field, quite good.

Good idea to visit KPVC, on a beautiful day the scenery is unreal.

Have fun! Stop in and see us at W96!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Squaz View Post
Hello all.

I'm planning a trip up the NE US coast next month for about 11 or 12 days. We will be departing from Atlanta. Our current plan is Ocean City NJ (26N), Cape Cod Gateway (HYA), and Bar Harbor ME (BHB). Of course I will fly up the Hudson River on the the way to Cape Cod! On the way back, we are planning on stopping in Tangier Island (TGI) for a few hours and then probably spend the night at Kitty Hawk, First Flight Airport (FFA) before heading back.

So far, we have our accommodations in BHB and we have the reservations for the Cadillac Summit Road in Acadia NP. But that's a s far as I've gotten. I'm looking for recommendations suggestions for anything including:

Fuel stops
Lodging
Restaurants
Things to do
Day trips

I've heard Cape Cod Airfield and Chatham Muni are nice airports. I'm planning on staging out of HYA unless you suggest otherwise. We are planning on a day trip to Martha's Vineyard Katama Airfield (1B2) and walking to the beach, but I don't know how I would get around to see the rest of the island. I'm also planning a day trip to Provincetown (PVC) and going to The Lobster Pot for lunch. My goal is to have crab or lobster every day!

Thank you for your help!

Jerry
2021 Dues Paid
Old 05-25-2021, 10:32 AM

If you plan to stop for food at Tangier Island, be aware the restaurants close between about 2-5. Tangier is known for soft shell crabs, but the seafood is all good. There is a $10 landing fee, but we have never been asked to pay it. Just be aware of Patuxent NAS Restricted - there's a 3500 foot shelf to get in from the east, but do not go west of the field as the Restricted goes to the surface. It's a bet you'll get cleared through Patuxent on the weekends, not so much during the week.

Tangier Island is a strange place - there are graves in peoples yards. And - oh yea - the whole island is sinking. It's worth a stop, but to be honest - there isn't much to do other than eat.