What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine storage

I have just got my engine for my build. It is not new, but I will need to store it while I wait on the finishing kit to mount it. Any recommendation on the best procedure for 6-8 month storage of an engine? Thanks

Its hard to "preserve" an engine strictly IAW the Lycoming service letter when its already removed from the airplane. The best you can do without having it pickled before its removed from the airplane or test stand is to hang it from a hoist, drain the old oil out. Fill it full of fresh oil, fog the cylinders and replace the top plugs with dehydrator plugs.

I am storing an engine this way in my hangar. Additionally, I am using an Engine Saver dehydrator to push dry air though the oil breather tube.

A friend of mine suggested over-filling the crankcase with oil as much as you can put in it.

What you are trying to protect is way above the sump. Fill the sump 100% then turn the motor upside down.

To fully protect it, also remove the intake tubes, and exhaust. Fill each intake and exhaust port with oil, and cap off with homemade rubber gaskets and plywood covers. Cap off the vent. Top off each cyl through a spark plug hole... install used sparkplugs. I just used cheap 30 wt. oil. By doing this, and storing the motor upside down, everything is 100% covered in oil except a small area in the sump. And you can top it off by removing the drain plug and adding oil.

I have an "Engine Saver" dehydrator. I put it in a clear plastic storage tub like you have in your basement to store winter clothing. I put a battery operated digital thermometer/Dewpoint indicator that indicates percent humidity on the bottom of the tub. I drilled two holes and have the tubing exiting the tube through rubber grommets to seal the holes. Mine stays in my heated shop and does not experience temperature change over the winter. The humidity seems to like 16% and never below. If its above 25% I reseal the lid using packaging tape.

Do what they say above regarding oil and Dehydrator plugs. The next time you put a mug in your freezer for an hour, pull it out and fill it up with cold beer and its nice and frosty think about your engine in the winter. Its mass stores the cold temperature. When the air warms up, its cold just like your mug...inside and out.

So temperature change is not good, and humidity is not good. Keep it dry. My method gives you data....your not guessing.

Attachments

• IMG_2138.jpg
    IMG_2138.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Engine Dehumidifier

I rolled my own. It’s been hooked up and running for a little over a month. It's keeping the engines internal RH below 20%. It cycles on for approx. 10 seconds, bring the RH down to 14%, then shuts down. The RH then slowly climbing to 19%, over a 45 minute period of time, then cycles again.
It's cheap insurance.

Attachments

• CATQ8457.jpg
    CATQ8457.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 225
  • KGZA8514.jpg
    KGZA8514.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 234
  • XJAZ1897.jpg
    XJAZ1897.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
I rolled my own. It’s been hooked up and running for a little over a month. It's keeping the engines internal RH below 20%. It cycles on for approx. 10 seconds, bring the RH down to 14%, then shuts down. The RH then slowly climbing to 19%, over a 45 minute period of time, then cycles again.
It's cheap insurance.

Very nice unit! Tidy and effective.

Mojave dehydrator

I’ve been refining and testing this design for a while now. The results of testing with data recorders is enlightening both in cold operations in Michigan and humid areas like Florida.
More details are at http://www.rbaviation.com/mojave

Attachments

• 94412172-9D7F-4758-AB7D-2561D93D97B1.jpeg
    94412172-9D7F-4758-AB7D-2561D93D97B1.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 78FEB183-FC51-488D-A76A-50768E0CB589.jpeg
    78FEB183-FC51-488D-A76A-50768E0CB589.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 160
Back