What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to move a project across Canada?

GeoffH

Hello, I'm looking for ideas and input on how to move a mostly completed Rv9 Project from Ontario to Alberta. The big pieces are built, plane can be on gear or fuse dolly, engine can be mounted or on shipping skid.

I've received some quotes for 20' containers and renting 24/26' moving trucks and driving. Will be relocating at the same time so having room to move household items would be beneficial.

Thanks
Geoff

Hello, I'm looking for ideas and input on how to move a mostly completed Rv9 Project from Ontario to Alberta. The big pieces are built, plane can be on gear or fuse dolly, engine can be mounted or on shipping skid.

I've received some quotes for 20' containers and renting 24/26' moving trucks and driving. Will be relocating at the same time so having room to move household items would be beneficial.

Thanks
Geoff

I moved a partially completed Harmon Rocket, plus the contents of my workshop on a 12x8 trailer, but it was only a relatively short trip. Everything was tied down using metal strapping screwed into the trailer floor.

Waiting in the ferry lineup crossing from Vancouver to Victoria, I was surprised by the number of homebuilders who came to chat.

Photos coming....

uHaul

Would a big uhaul truck be large enough? The bigger ones are huge!

I moved the tail, wings and some personal items in a medium size uHaul truck across Ontario in the winter. Gas bill was huge, but the parts were safe.

Attachments

• 56222478_10157736604439386_4001616107650678784_o.jpg
    56222478_10157736604439386_4001616107650678784_o.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
At this point it looks like a 26' Uhaul truck may be the best option. It's amazing how much price difference there is depending where its rented. $2900 from one spot or $1900 from another place 45 min the other direction. I've seen pictures of people strap the wings to the sides of the truck, that opens allot of room.

At this point it looks like a 26' Uhaul truck may be the best option. It's amazing how much price difference there is depending where its rented. $2900 from one spot or $1900 from another place 45 min the other direction. I've seen pictures of people strap the wings to the sides of the truck, that opens allot of room.

I rented a 26' truck from Penske when I moved my 7 from home to the hangar for final assembly and finishing. Did the same when I took it over, disassembled, for paint. The fuse was anchored to the floor with straps around the tires under blocks screwed to the floor and at the tailwheel. The wings were mounted in the cradle which was screwed to the sidewall. The smaller parts were wrapped in padding and put in the fuse. The tail parts were wrapped with padding and strapped to the forward end of the trailer. No damage in the 3 trips along some bumpy side roads. The extended lift gate allowed me to roll the fuse onto it engine first, then raise it while lifting the back end and then rolling it in. Worked great but it is a 2 person job. Had lots of room for more stuff.

As you have found out there is a big difference in cost between companies and locations. Watch out for the mileage charges. They vary a lot and can really drive the cost.

Good luck.

Back