What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Pressure regulator to pair w/ Numatx squeezer

Nero

As the new Numatx squeezer produces constant force across the entire stroke, it appears that one has to use the supplied air pressure to control how much each rivet is squished.

Looking at a few sample builds with individuals choosing to attach the intensifier along with the foot pedal control to a sheet of plywood, i am also seeing everyone attach an air pressure regulator to the set up.

There is a large verity of regulators to chose from: digital, analogue, diaphragm, piston, etc.

I've seen specific examples of regulators that will not work listed on these forums (HF), however, i cannot find a single instance of someone specifically stating which brand they chose, and if it works well for them.

I'm considering the following: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY2IO6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thoughts on if it will work well with the Numatx squeezer?

Did the NumatX fall out of favor or something? It doesn't seem like anyone talks about it anymore, and Cleaveland quit carrying it.

Thoughts on if it will work well with the Numatx squeezer?

I believe I'm using this one from Home Depot and it's worked just fine: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...sor-Regulator-with-Gauge-HDA70900AV/100082550

Did the NumatX fall out of favor or something? It doesn't seem like anyone talks about it anymore, and Cleaveland quit carrying it.

I don't remember Cleaveland ever carrying it. I bought mine here https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/2701.htm

I do have a traditional pneumatic squeezer that I typically still use for dimpling because I think it's a little quicker for that than the Numatx. With the Numatx I have to keep the pedal fully depressed for a few seconds until I hear the air stop flowing through my air hose to know that it's reached it full pressure. The pneumatic squeezer is ready to move on just about as soon as its lever is fully depressed.

However, if I had to choose just one I would absolutely stick with the Numatx. It's a little higher maintenance than my pneumatic squeezer but its lighter weight and smaller size make it much more enjoyable to use.

Air Regulator

For those reading this in the future, do yourself a favor and go with an analogue regulator.

I tried going the digital route, and it was a terrible mess. Hard to read, Hard to set. just PITA.

I picked up an good old fashioned regulator for $26 from Lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Mini-Air-Regulator/50126536 and it worked beautifully. Very easy to set, and it even comes with a bracket to attach to your setup.

Thanks - I was kicking myself for not going digital, and thinking of replacing my analog regulator. Analog works fine, just thought the digital might be more precise and repeatable.

Another very happy convert

I have been using my new Numatx for only a couple of weeks and it is by far the best tool in my shop.

I ordered it with the full set of yokes and am surprised how often I use the 4" yoke, it reaches so many more places that I would never have thought to use a squeezer.

The regulator is just a cheap unit from our local box store here in Australia (Bunnings Aviation) and it works well.

I will say the instructions say to bleed the unit with the hand held unit above the floor in a bench vise, I could not get the last bit of air out of the system until I clamped the hand unit up on the staircase, high enough that the hose went straight up.

The pressures you see in my photos are what works with my cheapy regulator, YMMV. Do your own test rivets and then be rewarded with the fastest and most efficient riveter you will own. It is so simple to set the pressure on the regulator and rivet away, every rivet will be perfect.

ACtC-3dHtzrPjXjqcqniKiQof6mMu9jh_6poGWKY6G7NuZfQQZJFBIhNiv_jdIpnqwCk0-LYGqSIZhaYo2zb1hQpMEXuOQj7E-hiZeOP95_ysiO7S8ixaRFh8B5SqVKVABGmMSUkzr3cBcwaD1PtWb602ee2dg=w678-h903

ACtC-3fIuEPV6gi9B44XuJFSQGSWrqwszucGwKWooVyYLhFG_N720c8Ld7ZqZdzsIYomf5oL4Qodq9e1-SzBJ_C1zDb-xD3yStSDFYE7kbhPcbn5LNv8TFpbemWVtGL5nbcsSPcpndXyWm8Fxo4xSFKnh0IIew=w678-h903

ACtC-3cNPlS6ETL_N9Z9Tgtd91WaL8uWkR4m83UqsqyDHPngmXuw4dtWEQ8nMiAaek8At3eph9ciU8dBkiufT5ymy5HFVBQPtPJB2N11o0eJGmssKyMe2Adh40QX78oE8bjXKiPa-cmsnxriynUHyeDl1QBqtQ=w1204-h903

Last edited:
I have mine setup similar to Ashley's...but not NEARLY as 'finished' looking. Bought it through the FlyBoys site.

My regulator is a Kobalt analog version from Lowe's and seems to work fine.

On a side note, it took a little more work to get it dialed in (i.e. getting all the air out) than I expected but I am very happy with it now!

Highly recommend Numatx and FlyBoys both! :D

Get all the air out of the system

Yes, getting all the air out of the system is the most critical part of setting up the Numatx squeezer. I have been stressing this since 2010, when Cleaveland did carry an earlier version.

When bleeding the tool, ideally the hand-held portion should be mounted in a vise and the bleed plug at the highest point in the system. And several syringes of hydraulic fluid should be injected into the system to ensure any air is forced out. It takes 15-30 minutes to do it right, but is not overly difficult.

I am no longer associated with the Numatx system, but remember most of what I spent countless hours designing.

Back