What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing fuel tanks

Jskyking

Well Known Member
Pressure/ leak checks are complete and ready to install the tanks on the wings.
I have the wings in stands and the tanks are sitting on tables in the “ templates.

My question, what is the preferred method of positioning the tanks and wings for fastening? I waved off doing it with two people to avoid bending an outboard/ inboard edge during the fit.

I feel like the obvious options are: using 3 people

1. fit the tank from the bottom while the wing rests in the cradle, though the wing will be sitting up- hill.

2. Place one tank at a time on the shop table and bring the wing over and drop it in place on the tank.

3. Lastly, place the wing, leading edge down in cradles on the shop tables, and drop the tanks in place on the wing.

I don’t have an inordinate amount of maneuvering space, so I’m trying to find the best method to facilitate the installation. As we all know, lots of time and labor up to this point and I don’t want to rush this part.

Thanks
Jt

It doesn't require any special alignment procedure.... 3 people shouldn't be needed. It can easily be done solo but two people will make it a bit easier.

Wing laying flat on a padded table is fine.

Slip the tank in place and lightly tap the leading edge with an open hand to get the outboard dimples to engage.

Install all of the spar web bolts to pull it fully aft and then install the screws starting with the outboard leading edge and alternating top and bottom.

I did mine solo a couple of months ago. Laid wing flat across two tables like an H. was then able to maneuver the wing back and forth slightly to expose all of the needed screw holes from below. Was easier than I expected.

Picture here shows before I put the tank on but I think you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_154457.jpg
    IMG_20200620_154457.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 298
Thanks for the Good ideas. Consensus seems to lay the wing flat before attempting to attach the tank....I’m definitely going to get help to prevent the tank slipping off the table and bouncing off the floor like a basketball.

I built a movable cradle for the wings which made it fairly easy to set the fuel tank on the frame and then gradually raise it with wooden shims until it fit in place. I was able to do this without assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_7327 (1).jpg
    IMG_7327 (1).jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 302
Back