What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring for rudder strobe

mturnerb

Well Known Member
I'm building my tailcone, thinking about where to route wires to rudder fairing for strobe (and for rudder trim). Before I rivet the aft-most bulkhead it seems like now would be a good time to locate hole for wires to exit the tailcone.

Advice on where to locate holes?

Also - how did others route wires into the rudder fairing?

Search up vans wiring diagram, it will show you how they run the wiring. Typically we all have more wiring than there wiring diagram, but it is a good resource. They give a specific measurement for existing the tail into the rudder fairing, I installed it later in the build. Hope this helps. Pete

Advice on where to locate holes?

instructions/manual provides a location for this hole., I used the recommended location and it put the wire in a spot aligned with the gap at the rudder bottom and well clear of interference or chaffing.

Larry

instructions/manual provides a location for this hole., I used the recommended location and it put the wire in a spot aligned with the gap at the rudder bottom and well clear of interference or chaffing.

Larry

I haven't seen that part of the instructions. Any thoughts on which section?

Thanks

Search up vans wiring diagram, it will show you how they run the wiring. Typically we all have more wiring than there wiring diagram, but it is a good resource. They give a specific measurement for existing the tail into the rudder fairing, I installed it later in the build. Hope this helps. Pete

I've found lots of threads on general wiring stuff, but nothing specific to the part I was asking about. But good to hear you did it later. Since the aft bulkhead is two parts riveted together, I thought it might be better drill now before riveting: I hate chips between parts that I can't get to....

The document OP-37 is marked obsolete on the USB drive I received last week. The tail light seems to be now covered in OP-56 which is not RV-10 specific.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 11.43.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 11.43.06 AM.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 442
The other thing to consider is whether you really want a light there - some of us decided to avoid it and get Aveo Ziptip wingtips instead - those also have rear-facing lights that eliminate the need for anything in the tailcone.

The other thing to consider is whether you really want a light there - some of us decided to avoid it and get Aveo Ziptip wingtips instead - those also have rear-facing lights that eliminate the need for anything in the tailcone.

Hadn't considered that option, will look into it. Did you modify the rudder fairing given that it's shaped to accommodate a light?

Hadn't considered that option, will look into it. Did you modify the rudder fairing given that it's shaped to accommodate a light?

I haven't yet, but that's my plan.
I've also checked with Van's, they said it's totally fine to cut off that bulb and make it flat (but they don't make a version of the fairing without it).

Even with the Aveo wingtips, you can still add a taillight. It isn't required, but it can be done (I know because I'm doing it...)

The Aveo tail strobe has a sync wire where you can get all three strobes to work together.

Again, not required, but if you want a cool three-light blink to make your 787 strobe light pattern match your all glass 787 panel, it is possible.

Given the the rudder fairing has a flat spot for mounting the light, it does look a little naked without something there, although I guess you could layer up a fiberglass golf-ball sized rounded shape.

I have the Aveo Zip tips with the white position light/strobe in the rear module. I removed the tail fairing mount from the lower rudder fairing and glassed it in. The Zip Tips are terrific, and once you add up the cost of LED nav/strobe/recog & landing lights. as well as the wingtips, the $3000 cost for the Zip's is not that extravagant. Obviously there would be no need to run wiring to the rudder.

zip tips and strobe

The AVEO booth at OSH 2021 is offering the tail light for free when you order the zip tips at the show. I was considering modifying the tail but this works for me.

Back