What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Houston area monthly lunch (June 2020) (WE'RE BAAACK)

N546RV

Well Known Member
That's right, it's time to get this going again. I'm putting the notice out a bit early for this one since it's different from the norm. As alluded to previously, this month I'm going to host at my hangar at Sport Flyers (27XS). Assembly time will be the usual 11:30, a week from this Saturday (June 20th).

I'll have a pile of ribs and assorted sides, plus coolers full of drinks. I'll try and rustle up some tables and chairs, but seating may be at a premium. I'd suggest you try and bring your own chairs if possible.

Here's the one request I have for everyone: Please let me know if you're planning on attending, and if you intend to fly in. The former is so I can plan for food stockpiling, the latter is so I can figure out how many neighbors I need to talk to to secure aircraft parking. I can fit four, maybe five RV-size aircraft on my lot, more than that and we'll have to get creative.

Just reply here, send a private message/email through the forums, or text me at four2three 4three2 nine4three7.

Street address is 4614 Windsock Ln, Brookshire. For fly-ins, it'll be the seventh hangar from the north, on the west side of the field.

NOTE FOR FLY-INS: Please don't park on the grass without someone on the ground guiding you. There are culverts on either side of my ramp that you do not want to put a wheel into. I'll have them flagged, but I'd still prefer to provide guidance. Better safe than sorry.

Monthly Lunch, 6/20

Great news Philip!

I am planning to be around and in attendance. If there is a need, I could probably accommodate 5 or 6 RV's at our place and provide shuttle service.

Looking forward to getting back together with the RV group!

Greg

Well, I haven't done a good smoke in a while, so I did a test cook with some ribs today, and I'm pleased to say they didn't suck. Other stuff on the planned menu:

• Jalapeno poppers
  • Collard greens (sorry, I'm a North Carolina boy)
  • Charro beans
  • Jalape?o mac & cheese
  • Potato salad in a grocery-store bucket (there's a limit to how much stuff I want to make from scratch)

Some notes for anyone planning to fly in and not familiar with Sport Flyers:

• There are wires at both ends of the runway, but there's also plenty of runway (4000'+).
  • Watch out for the KTME airspace; we sit in a cutout in the ring. If the wind favors 17, keep your downwind tight to remain clear of the Delta.

For drive-ins...just look for a giant tiki hut, that's my place. It's pretty distinctive.

Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Well, the weather wasn't super great, but we at least got a good variety of planes. Good seeing everybody, we'll do it again...when it's cooler.

APWPcOyl.jpg

I feel bad for taking off so early but I couldn't take any chances. The food was great, the company was great, the weather was not so great but it was a good time. You are building a great looking RV-8. Thank your wife for putting up with us. Looking forward to next time.

I really wanted to make it but had other commitments burning on the stove. Did the weather turn IFR on you guys?

I really wanted to make it but had other commitments burning on the stove. Did the weather turn IFR on you guys?

We had some spotty showers and a bit of convection. Developed into persistent but mostly light rain on the field from about 1:00-2:30 or so. Phil ran home ahead of the weather, everyone else waited it out.

And of course how it's nice and sunny again.

I think this may do it for outdoor events until fall rolls around. It was tolerable out in the hangar, but the cloud cover helped with that. Probably would have been a good bit less comfortable in full sun. So I'm figuring maybe I'll host again in October or thereabouts. In the meantime, I think we'll go back to Hooks.

Back