What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X/GTN database install instructions

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
How do I install downloaded G3X and GTN databases into the panel mount devices.

I am thinking that there must be something unique to installing the databases as the data for both the G3X system and the GTN650 are both on the same SD card.

Can't find anywhere in the reams of Garmin Support listings.

The listing I found entitled "Downloading databases to my panel mount device" provided the instructions for downloading the databases from the Garmin Databases web site onto the SD card, not onto the devices. I have the instructions for installing the System Software and have done that a few times.

The GTN requires the SD card to remain in it to function. The G3X does not. The GTN Xi series does NOT require the SD card to remain in the unit.

Easiest way to manage this is to buy two SD Cards. 8 GB, Sandisk, FAT32 formatted is ideal. Copy the G3X databases to one, insert the card in the G3X as it boots, and after the update, you can remove the card.. Put the GTN databases on another card, and leave the card in the GTN..

Database Updates

How do I install downloaded G3X and GTN databases into the panel mount devices.

I am thinking that there must be something unique to installing the databases as the data for both the G3X system and the GTN650 are both on the same SD card.

Can't find anywhere in the reams of Garmin Support listings.

The listing I found entitled "Downloading databases to my panel mount device" provided the instructions for downloading the databases from the Garmin Databases web site onto the SD card, not onto the devices. I have the instructions for installing the System Software and have done that a few times.

Page 35-201 of the G3X Touch Installation Manual provides guidance for updating databases on the G3X Touch.

Page 18-11 of the GTN Pilots Guide provides guidance for updating databases on the GTN 650/750.

You will want to use separate cards for both the GTN 650 and G3X Touch.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Justin

…and

…and the gtn is pretty fickle about the card format. I ended up using an ancient laptop and windoze to do a low level format for the first time. I did not have much luck using parallels on my Mac. Very strange.

Once you get the card formatted though, it works great.

For the GTN, put the SD card with the new database in the card slot BEFORE you power up the GTN. When you do power it up, it will ask you if you want to update the database(s).

My GTN came with a Garmin labeled SD card. I always use that card in the GTN.

For the G3X, insert the card in the the slot AFTER power up. You will get be prompted to confirm you want to install the databases.

The G3X update can take 15 minutes or more. It depends on how many charts you update. When I do the download, I only select charts for the region I will fly in during the next 28 days - not the whole country.

Hint: If you have a dual screen set-up, download the update to 2 SD cards. That way you can update both screen at the same time.

For the GTN, put the SD card with the new database in the card slot BEFORE you power up the GTN. When you do power it up, it will ask you if you want to update the database(s).

For the G3X, insert the card in the the slot AFTER power up. You will get be prompted to confirm you want to install the databases.

The G3X update can take 15 minutes or more. It depends on how many charts you update. When I do the download, I only select charts for the region I will fly in during the next 28 days - not the whole country.

Hint: If you have a dual screen set-up, download the update to 2 SD cards. That way you can update both screen at the same time.

I have the entire North American subscription to jepps and the updates never take more than a minute or two. G3X touch system.

I have the entire North American subscription to jepps and the updates never take more than a minute or two. G3X touch system.

My non-touch G3X takes 20 minutes per screen (12 seconds for every 1% upload), 99% of which is Garmin IFR FliteCharts. Airport directory, Nav data, obstacles, and safe taxi combined take less than a minute.

Last edited:
My non-touch G3X takes 20 minutes per screen (12 seconds for every 1% upload), 99% of which is Garmin IFR FliteCharts. Airport directory, Nav data, obstacles, and safe taxi combined take less than a minute.

Wow, sounds like a huge processor performance difference!

^ this is my SOP as well. Very good advice.

8 GB SanDisk

Thanks for the helpful methodology for updating firmware and databases. I've spent several hours online yesterday (Amazon, Newegg, B&H, Western Digital, and more) and drove to the local Best Buy/Target/Walmart stores. No one has SanDisk 8 GB (or smaller). Where are y'all getting these now?
Thanks!

Des
RV14a, final assembly 90% done with 90% to go...

Not sure how much of my SOP is correct or hearsay...
* I use 16 GB for the G3X and 8 GB for the GTN so that I can tell them apart
* On the GTN, I insert the card and hold down the Home key before turning on the power. At least in the past, if you didn't hold down the Home key, the GTN would not recognize new databases on the card. Holding down the Home key, the GTN will have a button for uploads and will thenask if you want the databases installed.
* The G3X Touch doesn't seem to care when the new card is inserted, IIRC, but I always end up inserting it before power on because I have to do that for the GTN.
* Don't forget that G3X screen capture is available by pressing and holding the Back button till you get a message that the screen has been captured.
* I always make a separate database card for each G3X screen so that they can upload simultaneously. No need to keep track of which card / which screen.

Hope I got all the details correct...

* Don't forget that G3X screen capture is available by pressing and holding the Back button till you get a message that the screen has been captured...
Hope I got all the details correct...

According to the manual, it's the MENU key that must be long-pressed for screenshot. Not the BACK key.

Back