What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FedEx Shipping to Canada from Vans

Just a FYI. I have had numerous packages from Vans delayed by days when shipped FedEx (urgent parts). The problem i found is that Vans is not putting the recipient phone number in the shipping info. They put their phone number. As a result, when FedEx needs to get duties and taxes there automated system attempts a delivery but due to COVID they can't collect the fees so they abandon delivery and it goes back into the system for days. If they have the correct phone number you get a call to pay over the phone (they dont have a way to pay online believe it or not) and then your package can be delivered.

I have sent a message to Vans but not sure if it will get to the right people.

USPS

Hey Tony,

I’ve been burned a number of times by UPS and FedEx....I always ask for USPS now.

Never an issue there.

How’s the 8 treating you?

Don

Update

Spoke to Vans, turns out if they dont have your phone number on the order then it defaults to Vans number. Thats what happened to me. Not sure why they dont have my phone but just confirm that they have yours when you place a FedEx order

Hey Tony,

I’ve been burned a number of times by UPS and FedEx....I always ask for USPS now.

Never an issue there.

How’s the 8 treating you?

Don

Hi Don, i am still waiting for a package to come that was sent 4 weeks ago via USPS. If you got time on your hands, its the cheapest way and 80% chance you will get it.

8 flying is going well. Taking my time getting used to it.

Thanks for the heads up Tony. I have been tracking a friends alternators with Fedex from B & C today and I saw that they had made it to Nova Scotia . In talking to my friend , I asked if he had been given a call about payment for GST & brokerage and he said no. Then I thought about this post and a call was made to make payment. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. I assume his phone number wasn't attached to the shipment also.
Thanks again

Two weeks ago I ordered parts from Vans to be shipped via USPS. They shipped it FedEx International Economy and charged me the equivalent to USPS shipping. FedEx called me to pay taxes, and it was left at my door 4 days after being shipped.

I was worried about the additional charges curriers are know to add but all was well. The taxes and fees where on par with what the Post office would have collected.

Geoff

Thanks for the heads up Tony. I have been tracking a friends alternators with Fedex from B & C today and I saw that they had made it to Nova Scotia . In talking to my friend , I asked if he had been given a call about payment for GST & brokerage and he said no. Then I thought about this post and a call was made to make payment. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. I assume his phone number wasn't attached to the shipment also.
Thanks again

In September I shipped my alternator down for an adjustment via Canada Post. It got there in 5 days. They shipped it back Fed Ex and it got stuck at one of their facilities. I didn’t get my alternator for 2 weeks.

FedEx shipping to Canada

Hi
I have had great success with shipping parts from Van's to Canada using Fed Ex. For example I called Van's and ordered up some front baffle parts so I can replace some parts that need work. I asked the Van's representative, a very nice woman with whom I had a great conversation, to mark the outside of package with "Airplane Parts". I also confirmed with her that she had my correct email address and cell phone number, which she did not. She changed it to reflect my current number.
I ordered the parts at 1 pm EST last Tuesday and the Fed Ex guy was at my front door in Kitchener at 2 pm the following Thursday..3 days later! I did receive a call from Fed Ex that morning (Thursday) asking for payment for taxes which I paid with credit card in Canadian funds. I asked for and received the payment confirmation number. When the Fed Ex guy arrived he asked for payment and I showed him the confirming email I got from the very pleasant FedEx lady. He was satisfied, gave me my package and left.
So I guess the lesson, if you want to call it that, is to confirm with the Van's order desk that they have your correct contact phone number and email before ending the call. Just a little insurance.
Again, this is my experience, hope it might help.
Cheers
Dave C
RV-7
C-GCPD

Back