What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Free help for any builder in the bay area.

Kartracer44

I'm New Here
If anyone is in the bay area that is building an RV and needs a 2nd hand let me know. I'd like to see what the build process is like as well as help out someone move their project along or atleast lessen the workload.

a little about me:
rebuilt 4 cylinder and v8 engines. Worked on 2 strokes as well. Have some cnc programming skills as well as milling a few parts in the past so i'm not new to tools or machines. Would like to know what goes into building a plane and if its something i would eventually dive into with a vans kit of my own.

The wife and I are in the final weeks of building an RV7, hoping for first engine start this weekend, so we're mostly done with the fabrication part, but you're welcome to come by and check it out. 3 hangers down is an RV8 that's just getting started, he's pretty cool about showing people his work as well. PM me if you're interested, we're located at Palo Alto airport.

Thank you for the offer Agent4573 but I've seen a few built Vans planes and I'd like to see a plane in its raw state in several pieces while it is coming together is the knowledge gap that i'm missing. Congratulations on the near completion of your plane. May i ask how long did it take you to complete the build in terms of months and is this done mostly by yourself or with your wife helping a lot as well?

Thank you Mike!

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=199690

Shoot Paolo a message and see if he's willing to host. He's still in the wing building stage and may be in need of some extra hands.

We got our empennage kit delivered March 2020, and the QB wings and fuse later that summer. Took a break on the build for 3 months in early 2021 and got my IFR ticket after some delays with getting the cowling delivered. I've just crossed 1800 hours logged. We don't double count the build hours when the wife helps outs, but she's probably got 200-300 hours in running the rivet gun, running wires, deburring, painting, etc.

Last edited:
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=199690

Shoot Paolo a message and see if he's willing to host. He's still in the wing building stage and may be in need of some extra hands.

We got our empennage kit delivered March 2020, and the QB wings and fuse later that summer. Took a break on the build for 3 months in early 2021 and got my IFR ticket after some delays with getting the cowling delivered. I've just crossed 1800 hours logged. We don't double count the build hours when the wife helps outs, but she's probably got 200-300 hours in running the rivet gun, running wires, deburring, painting, etc.

Great! thank you. i will shoot him a message and see if he needs extra hands. And congratulations on the near completion. Two years is really quite reasonable. It really making me feel more optimistic about this.

Check out EAA 20 http://www.eaa20.org/
They're building a RV out of San Carlos, they'll be happy to have you

Thanks! looks like they are meeting 2nd saturday this month. I will attend to take a look at their RV12 build. Looks like the program is for young builders though. I'm not exactly young anymore but maybe they'll let me atleast watch.

This site is really helpful. I would of never known of this event had i not joined VAF. Thank you again for the support.

Back