What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Wheel - Tire Removal

rvanstory

Well Known Member
Doing my 1st annual on the 10. Can't get the left main wheel off of axle. I have beat it with a rubber hammer, pried, etc... but bearing simply won't release and slide off the axle.

Anyone have a suggestion or "trick" for a stubborn wheel removal?

?
You didn't mention if you split the brake caliper before attempting to slide the wheel off the spindle.
two bolts that hold it together (not the 2 nuts on the slider pins), access to the brake pads, usually safety wired, 7/16 wrench size.

?
You didn't mention if you split the brake caliper before attempting to slide the wheel off the spindle.
two bolts that hold it together (not the 2 nuts on the slider pins), access to the brake pads, usually safety wired, 7/16 wrench size.

Didn’t mention it, but it was done. I have Matco brakes and wheel setup. Removed the braked rotor bolts to allow wheel removal.

Doing my 1st annual on the 10. Can't get the left main wheel off of axle. I have beat it with a rubber hammer, pried, etc... but bearing simply won't release and slide off the axle.

Anyone have a suggestion or "trick" for a stubborn wheel removal?

It should not be that tight, not sure what could have caused that to happen.
Just to confirm the steps.

1. Remove two ( I think 7/16" socket) brake bolts and remove the outside half of the brake caliper.

2. Remove cotter pin and mark the top axle nut.

3. Use mark to count how many rotations it takes to remove nut so it is easy to reinstall with the same play as before.

4. The wheel should slide right off. There will be a spacer on the inside that will also be removed to clean the axle.

Let us know what you find.

I have had one that was stubborn. I hit the left, inboard side of the tire with my palm, then the right; repeat X 100. Each tap moved the bearing a tiny amount.

Be carefull not to hit the wheel too hard, as the bearing is only held captive in the wheel with a thin circlip. You don't want to destroy that, as not sure where to find a replacement.

Larry

wheel

The bearing retainers described as circlips are more like a flat snap ring. Pretty easy to remove, just slip a thin screwdriver under the end that is notched. If you can remove the ring you may find less force is needed to remove the wheel. If that works you an then make a hardwood block to fit inboard of the remaining bearing and hammer away. You will probably want to polish the axle with emery until the bearings slide in place.
The retainer rings should be available from the appropriate manufacturer-Cleveland, Grove etc.

Try packing the axle with crushed ice (better yet.. dry ice) and wait 15 minutes, then pull the wheel off.

The axle should have a thin coat of grease on it. The bearings should slide on with no restrictions. If not, get out the Emery cloth.

Follow up fix

You will probably want to polish the axle with emery until the bearings slide in place.

Well, FINALLY got the wheel off! Hitting the tire (or wheel) wasn't working since it would not "center" the impact. Hitting it just put it more in a bind.

Finally used two tie straps and a long, heavy, bucking bar to "pop" it off with equal force on both sides. (see pic). Wheel popped off after about 10 hard pops with the bar. Found the end of spindle (last 1") was binding on a high spot. After a LOT of emery cloth, finally got the high spot out of the spindle. Now bearing goes on and off with ease.

Attachments

• IMG_3655.jpg
    IMG_3655.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Way to go

Well, FINALLY got the wheel off! Hitting the tire (or wheel) wasn't working since it would not "center" the impact. Hitting it just put it more in a bind.

Finally used to tie straps and a long, heavy, bucking bar to "pop" it off with equal force on both sides. (see pic). Wheel popped off after about 10 hard pops with the bar. Found the end of spindle (last 1") was binding on a high spot. After a LOT of emery cloth, finally got the high spot out of the spindle. Now bearing goes on and off with ease.

Randy,
Way to work through a mechanical issue.
I believe during many jobs there is a point that becomes a crux point. That is it seems hard to move backwards or forward.
Discovering a work around is a joy.

Happy Landings,
Daddyman

thanks for the feedback Randy!
Most of the times there is something to learn when someone is able to solve a problem... and report on here... :cool:

wheel removal

Randy,

Glad to see you found a work around for the issue.

Come see us when you have the CI finished.

Jon

Any idea how this happened? Presumably it didn’t stick when first installed.

You would have presumed wrong. :). It was a little tight going on initial install. But didn’t feel too bad. Should have used emery cloth on it then. Just didn’t realize how much tighter it’d get with time and heat.

Tire removal from wheel

When installing a new tire, what can be done to prevent the tire from being stuck fast to the wheel at next tire replacement?

George

Back