What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Conduit Through Fuselage

Blizzard

Just started Section 33-10 and looking for a little recommendation on how much conduit really needs to be run under the baggage area and rear seats. Realistic number of runs and the actual path taken would be helpful. Pictures would help tremendously. Are most antennaes being put on the belly going under the rear seats? After the conduit is run I want to make sure I can go ahead and complete the baggage area section before I need to install antenna mounts. Thanks

IMO it depends on what you're installing in the aircraft and where you are laying out the components. This is in addition to the battery cable.

I'd like to suggest it is worth some time upfront to plan out where the antennas and components will go, and their associated wiring needs. Things like ELT, lights, autopilot servos, trim servos, avionics, etc. as well as the battery cable and static line.

Also, consider what is being run and can they be run next to each other in a conduit. Do you maybe need two conduits?

Hope that helps. :D

I had two com antennas under the floor, between the landing gear, an SL-30 and 430W and the reception was a 10, for both radios as well as transmission clarity, on the ground and in flight.

Regards,.

A conduit on each side of the fuselage from behind the baggage bulkhead passed the rear seats, under the baggage floor, will accommodate all you can install. everything else can be routed without the need for conduits.

I used the nylon conduit Vans sells for the wing wiring, ran 2x on each side of the plane. Two of them are fairly full, but I also put some remote avionics in the tailcone vs behind the panel.

As for belly antennas, I opted to put them in easier to access spots for the future. My belly radio antenna is in the area under the copilots seat (near the landing gear). Biggest concern in this area for me was is avoiding exhaust flow.

My xpdr antenna rear of the baggage bulkhead.

As 1st responder said, it depends on what you have. I have 2 AC lines on right side plus 2 conduit from panel to baggage bulkhead. 3 conduit on left side. Plus, 1 each conduit from panel to wing root both sides. Conduit in tail cone for trim wires, and conduit in vertical stab for VOR whisker antenna. 2 conduits each wing. Conduit is not necessary for any run, but makes it easier to work with after the structure is closed. It's a trade-off, but all that conduit doesn't weigh very much. The wiring inside weighs substantially more, so if you are trying to keep the weight down, lose the accessories.;)

I installed 4 conduits under the baggage comp to the underside of the rear passenger foot rest. One along each side of the fuse from behind the baggage comp all the way to the last bulkhead just below the panel as well as one on each side of the tail cone. I used Pex water pipe, super light, very strong and smooth. You can actually push your wires through, no need for a "fish".
Unless you have every detail of your wiring mapped out, placing conduits through inaccessible places will greatly simplify your electrical and avionics installation. Crawling into the tail cone to install adel clamps maybe your thing but even if you can fit into the tail, in the end you'll have auto pilot servos, trim servos and other accessories installed that you can't step on.
In short, install some extra conduits you will thank me later.
My antennas are under the rear seat passengers, very good reception and transmission.

Ha...

Two conduits will be enough? That's funny...

Start adding your wires up...

Main B lead
Dedicated ground (optional)
Control wiring for master contactor(s)
ELT panel switch
Magnetometer (two bundles, 8-10 wires total)
Elevator trim - 5 wires
Tail position light and strobe - 4 wires
Tailcone mounted antennas
Static line
Com antennas under the back seats - 2 coax
Pitch servo wiring - 5-8 wires
Yaw servo wiring - 5-8 wires

These will need to be run forward from the tailcone. Now you need to consider all of the rest of the wiring that will need to pass OVER THE SPAR...this is where the bottleneck occurs.

Add in:

Door sensors wires - both sides
Pitot tube
AOA tube
Landing light wiring - both wings
Nav/Pos/Strobe wiring - both wings
Electric aileron trim - 5 wires
Roll servo wiring - 5-8 wires
Stall warning wiring (optional)
Any other wiring from the wings

...and, if you are planning remote mounted avionics in the tailcone, add them in too...

Unless you are building a stock, VFR airplane, you will find there are more wires to deal with than you think...

Point is, put more conduits in that you think you will need, while it is easy to do so. Better to have them and not need them...

I installed 4 conduits under the baggage comp to the underside of the rear passenger foot rest. One along each side of the fuse from behind the baggage comp all the way to the last bulkhead just below the panel as well as one on each side of the tail cone. I used Pex water pipe, super light, very strong and smooth. You can actually push your wires through, no need for a "fish".
Unless you have every detail of your wiring mapped out, placing conduits through inaccessible places will greatly simplify your electrical and avionics installation. Crawling into the tail cone to install adel clamps maybe your thing but even if you can fit into the tail, in the end you'll have auto pilot servos, trim servos and other accessories installed that you can't step on.
In short, install some extra conduits you will thank me later.
My antennas are under the rear seat passengers, very good reception and transmission.

What size PEX did you use?

Consider CPVC, especially for smaller sizes. It holds it position and will withstand abrasion better than pex. Guessing it appears to be a little lighter than pex but Im sure that depends on sizes. They have a higher temp threshold and are used mostly for hot water.

I used it in my wings and for the rudder cables where they passed through the cabin so I didnt have to worry about them being pinched.

I believe in a science or craft catalog you may find some lighter clear tubing that could work too.

Have fun with your build.

Pex

I used 3/4".
My battery cable #2 wire leads are outside of the conduit as well as pitot and static lines.
Those are easy to accommodate with bulkhead grommets and you'll know where they terminate.

Back