What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

to the Bear

A5555

Well Known Member
Cincy - Charlevoix - Empire - Cincy

Charlevoix reconnaissance for my wife and Sleeping Bear Dunes camping for me. I looked at the weather on Saturday and Tues-Thursday looked good. the overnight low was forecasted to be 11C at Empire. I was ready for some cool weather. I really didn't have my camping act together for this trip. I arrived at the hangar without my sleeping bag and had to go back home to get it. I know, I know, get a list!

I broke my fuel sump needle on my last trip so I swapped the one I had on my hangar door. When I sumped the tanks in Charlevoix I found some little black flakes, so I kept sumping, 4 times until I got it all. fighting a headwind on the way up, running low.

trip1(1).jpg

trip2(1).jpg

trip3(1).jpg

DSCN4842(1).jpg

DSCN4844.JPG

DSCN4846(1).jpg

DSCN4848(1).jpg

DSCN4864(1).jpg

DSCN4879(1).jpg

DSCN4852(1).jpg

Last edited:
Charlevoix

Charlevoix is a nice place and reasonable cost but I was going very cheap since it was just me. $68 motel and a bike. I rode all the streets in Charlevoix and had a nice dinner with a couple beers. it is a very pleasant place. my wife would like it. I didn't get any photos of Charlevoix because I just wanted to ride free. the bike was free from the airport. it was a good bike. I learned that I can easily ride an upright bike with a 50L backpack to the motel.

DSCN4874(1).jpg

DSCN4884(1).jpg

DSCN4880(1).jpg

DSCN4883(1).jpg

Last edited:
Sleeping Bear Dunes

the next day was off to camping and Empire Y87. I made a low pass at five airports along the way to have a look at them and get a feel for the place. Beautiful country!

Empire airport runway was listed to be in poor condition but it looked good to me.

DSCN4892(1).jpg

DSCN4893(1).jpg

DSCN4900(1).jpg

DSCN4903(1).jpg

DSCN4904(1).jpg

DSCN4941(1).jpg

DSCN4907(1).jpg

DSCN4909(1).jpg

DSCN4916(1).jpg

DSCN4926(1).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the ride along!

Now you done it, I'm picking up a box of Nutty Buddy at the grocery store tomorrow, and I'll eat them all when I get home, just like a teenager. I'm sure Tanya will have no sympathy afterwords :).

Camping - newbie

the Empire campsite is directly adjacent to the airport or I was told you can camp on the airport. I had the courtesy truck so I could easily get around. I am a camping newbie. I camped some with the scouts a very long time ago but never from the airplane except at Oshkosh. I came to realize that I need to have lighter gear. that is my big takeaway from this test run. also, I need to put my food away at night because something tore up my food. what animal makes this track? it's as wide as my shoe. I must have been sound asleep. I slept in a bag directly on the ground with some pine needles under. it was comfortable.

the morning temperature was 11C.

good tailwind coming home. trip time = 2:05.

DSCN4939(1).jpg

DSCN4938(1).jpg

DSCN4952(1).jpg

DSCN4950(1).jpg

a couple photos of the dunes from a trail. try climbing this dune. I did it 20 yrs ago but not now. :)

DSCN4933(1).jpg

DSCN4931(1).jpg

DSCN4932(1).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the ride along!

Now you done it, I'm picking up a box of Nutty Buddy at the grocery store tomorrow, and I'll eat them all when I get home, just like a teenager. I'm sure Tanya will have no sympathy afterwords :).

yes, Nutty Buddy's are my go to snack since childhood. I'm glad they haven't changed.

Nice trip Steve!

Agreed on the camping gear, I’ve been shopping the backpacking specials for several years now. Found my fairly large tent that works well for 2 people and gear is 8.5 lbs and easy to setup. 2 chairs at just over 1 lb each and the size of a water bottle.
I often toss a sleeping bag in the airplane on long trips just in case, my old bag is rated for 20* and 8 lbs and the size of a backpack. It’s often too hot. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Nemo down bag, 15* rating that compresses down slightly larger than a football and 2 lbs 12 oz. I used it on my last trip and it’s amazing. The size and weight is pretty incredible and even more so even with the lower temp rating I wasn’t hot even in 50*.
Next thing I need to condense/lighten up is my tool and tie down kit.

Nice trip Steve!

Agreed on the camping gear, I’ve been shopping the backpacking specials for several years now. Found my fairly large tent that works well for 2 people and gear is 8.5 lbs and easy to setup. 2 chairs at just over 1 lb each and the size of a water bottle.
I often toss a sleeping bag in the airplane on long trips just in case, my old bag is rated for 20* and 8 lbs and the size of a backpack. It’s often too hot. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Nemo down bag, 15* rating that compresses down slightly larger than a football and 2 lbs 12 oz. I used it on my last trip and it’s amazing. The size and weight is pretty incredible and even more so even with the lower temp rating I wasn’t hot even in 50*.
Next thing I need to condense/lighten up is my tool and tie down kit.

my two man tent is old, a Wal-mart special, it has been good for many years but it is heavy, 15 lb. the carry bag is on it's last legs and I noticed the tent is getting some holes. my sleeping bag is the same vintage, cheap, old and heavy. time to renew.

I landed at Bolton from the South. the trees there are about 50 ft tall and there is a road at the South end that creates a tunnel effect for the wind. I was in a slip and got a significant wing dip from the tunnel. next time I will crab in until just before touchdown. hopefully, that will reduce the wing dip effect.

nice place and good trails. Northern Michigan is a nice place.

DSCN4956.jpg

DSCN4935.jpg

DSCN4942.jpg

DSCN4924.jpg

DSCN4945.jpg

also, up that way is the Pere Marquette River Lodge. Amanda and I did some fishing there a couple years ago. we are planning another fishing trip there in the Fall. walk to the lodge from the airport, 1 mile.

https://www.pmlodge.com/

Last edited:
Back