What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Optimal Garmin G5 position.

Maverick972

Well Known Member
I am adding a Garmin G5 as a back up to my existing panel. I am having an debate as to where I place it.
A. Center of the panel top of stack
B. Left side of panel next to PFD

You feedback is appreciated.

Depends on you

Just curious if you have ever seen one in real life? Some of the things displayed can become very small.

I think the placement depends on your ability to see it. If it is in the middle, will it be hard to fly looking off angle and at the small depictions during and an IFR flight?

Do you have room to the left of the pdf?

These are the questions I answered when deciding on my location.

JMHO

Cut out 2 full size pics of the G5 and tape into both positions. Go up and turn off the other displays and decide which location you can best see and fly from. I have mine to left of PFD where it is closest and easiest to see.

Attachments

• 20200114_095040 (Large).jpg
    20200114_095040 (Large).jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 332
I have probably spent more time using the G5 than most; based on that experience, in my RV-7 slider I chose to put it to the left of the pilot's display, which is as close to the pilot's field of view as I could get it.

20201121_panel8.jpg

20201121_panel_drawing.jpg

Last edited:
For me, G5 is only a backup...I mainly use the PFD and MMD for flight/navigation, but mounting that small display close to my center of view works great, as would be optimal with any HSI/artificial horizon.

The one thing I've found mildly irritating about the G5 is that it's not flush-mounted...it sticks out from the panel. A curious mounting decision on the part of Garmin, IMHO.

Anyway, they do make a mount that lets you mount the G5 flush with the panel. I haven't installed it yet, but it is on my rather long list of things to do.

Attachments

• panels.jpg
    panels.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 304
  • panels frame.png
    panels frame.png
    251.1 KB · Views: 230
Thank you for your advice, I have room on both sides and seeing as it is my back up I’m going to place it on the left side of panel closet to my field of view should I need it.

IMHO everyone has come to the correct conclusion (near the PFD) but for the wrong reason. You want the backup within your normal scan, so a failure of either the backup or the primary PFD is detected quickly. If the backup is in the center you’ll never look at it.

I have mine in the center, above and slightly to the left of the stack.

I fly with my left hand on the stick and use my right hand to operate the panel throttle etc.

I can see the G5 perfectly well on both sides.

So where it is is visible fine, but much better for ergonomic consideration. There is no need to change hands to operate it.

I have mine on the left, works fine visually. I did notice in my last flight that the reach across to the knob on it with my right hand (left hand on stick) is at the edge of easy reach for me when cinched into the harness. It's not an issue as a backup instrument but if there are a lot of in flight adjustments needed, like setting bearings, it might be less than ideal.

Whatever you do, place it as close as physically possible to your main display. Visualizing the physical movements of your workflow is the key to the optimal panel layout.

The mission...

Good comments...good food for thought while I plan and wait on my kits.
My thoughts here center around how one would use the instrument, and under what conditions. In planning, things are gonna be real bad before the G5 is what keeps the shiny side up. But it’s a contigency to be accounted for. However, it seems that most GA accidents happen as a result of not paying attention to attitude and airspeed....even when that data is in it’s normal every day position right in front of our eyes. With this in mind, I will likely set up my panel to be optimal and efficient for 99.9% of my flying. A slightly inefficient cockpit “workflow” is much more likely to result in problems than a slightly off-axis BU instrument, IMHO. If instrument discipline is lacking, it will be an issue regardless of ADI position?
More simply put...i recommend considering what you give up before moving the BU closer to a normal eyeline, and guard jealously both efficiency and comfort of the devices that are used in the majority of your flying.

I put mine between the central stack and the PFD. My logic was that I'll most likely really need it if PFD fails in instrument conditions and in that case I want G5 as close to the GPS as possible. Scanning from the left edge of the panel to GPS would not be ideal.

My arrangement is pretty close to Matt's. I have the G5 up high on the left of the PFD.

I was originally concerned about the small screen size of the G5 but now that I have flown with it in rental aircraft I think it is usable even for a guy who needs glasses.

In case anyone is wondering, here's some guidance from the certified world. In Garmin's STCs for certified aircraft, the G5 standby is required to be installed within 2 inches of the pilot's PFD. The closer you can get your standby to the PFD, the easier it will be to transition to it if you lose your PFD in the clouds. The standby needs to be within your normal field of view. Excessive head movement from looking too far over to the side in the clouds can lead to disorientation. I've seen dealers mount the G5 over the radio stack, and it can look nice, but it's not a legal installation in a certified aircraft for these reasons. I know it's optional to follow the certification rules for our planes, but in cases like this, it makes a lot of sense!

I've always wondered what you're supposed to do from the right seat if you need a back up? The G5 all the way to the left is even more difficult to use.

My current plan with G5 on left:

Panel idea by Dave Hock, on Flickr

The glove box will likely go based on some feedback from others on it's usefulness. Switches are toggles and my alt air will be on cabin side wall.

Dave,

That is pretty close to what I have G5/GDU 460.

One comment, I ran out of room but your alt static switch could fit over on the left side beside the G5. I was trying to squeeze mine in that area but I just couldn't make it work. I have my ELT switch outboard of my G5. If you put it there it would be easy to intercept the static line going to the G5.

Do I hear a second?

My current plan with G5 on left:

Panel idea by Dave Hock, on Flickr

The glove box will likely go based on some feedback from others on it's usefulness. Switches are toggles and my alt air will be on cabin side wall.

The glove box is a really nice place for a second G3x screen.

Attachments

• 0073D040-5318-4BBA-B98F-E3A6F58DE8E9.jpeg
    0073D040-5318-4BBA-B98F-E3A6F58DE8E9.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 168
I like my map box, if for no other reason than it gave me something to attach my remote devices to. I have my transponder on top and the COM2 and NAV radios underneath. Makes very good use of the space between the panel and the sub-panel. The map box itself is a great place for the documents that need to be carried on board, it keeps them from getting mangled.

My reply is in regard to the rational of the placement in my RV8. I put my backup EFIS on the upper left so the pilot/passenger in the back seat can see the EFIS by leaning slighter over to the left. The other reason is if the main EFIS fails and when making left hand pattern for landing, I am looking at the backup EFIS instead of cocking my head all the way to the right.

Back