What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone operate out of KDVT (Deer Valley)?

llaux

Hi VAF:

I've got a hangar at KDVT lined up to occupy but I wanted to ask if there are any pilots who currently operate out of Deer Valley if they could tell me what it's like... I hear a lot of stories about long wait times on the taxi ways, poor radio communication, etc.

Any insights here would be immensely helpful.

Thanks!

DVT-Phoenix

I’m on the waiting list for a small t-hangar at Deer Valley as well. I think mine should come up this Fall.
There are a lot of experimental aircraft there, which is great. I think most of the larger hangars are on the north side, smaller ones on the south.
I remember hearing that DVT was the busiest airport in the country due to all the flight training there, but I think it has lessened since a few years ago. Still a lot of flight training there, a lot of which is foreign nationals. Radio communication is sometimes difficult.
Wait times don’t seem particularly long, but that varies with time of day.

I operate out of P19 which is just South of KPHX. KDVT is just North of KPHX. I have operated out of KDVT many times and got my CMEL there a few years ago. KDVT is a nice airport with parallel runways. It can be busy with lots of training activity. Much of the training activity includes students that speak English as a second language. This sometimes causes a little confusion and tense times for the controllers (wh0 are quite talented). In my experience the worst part of KDVT is that there is often a tense or challenging situation of frequency creating a kind of unfriendly vibe. The controllers are good though and if you know what you are doing you will be treated well! A decent number of RVs and other fun aircraft there and a very good restaurant as well.

As a disclaimer, things could certainly change tomorrow. DVT was an extremely busy airport a few years ago but many of the flight schools have moved to other ports around the valley so it is actually quite nice getting in and out. We have a great tower as well and with the two runways it works, IMHO, very well. Hope this helps.

I've seen it busy on FlightAware, but I did a checkout in a DA-40NG on Tuesday morning and did a bunch of laps in the pattern since KSDL was super busy. Was surprised to find there was almost no one in the pattern except us and an Archer.

DVT

I've been based at DVT for many years. Prior to 2020, DVT was very, very busy. Two large flights schools were here plus a large GA community. But since Covid, one flight school has moved to another airport and the remaining flight school is operating at very low levels. It's been pretty amazing how much quieter the airport is these days. Not to say it doesn't get busy from time to time, but nothing like it used to be.

Send me a pm if you have any specific questions....happy to help.

Back