What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uncommanded flap retraction

Rnation

I'm New Here
Has anyone had this problem?
Dues paid 2021
Significant troubleshooting, but unable to solve problem. RV9A with PH Aviation actuator position wired to G3X touch. Disconnected wire and flaps do not retract. Changed switch and problem remains. Seems to be an electrical issue, although there is a heavier duty actuator available from PH Aviation.
Has anyone had similar problem, or have any suggestions?
Bob 314 249-8725

Holiday Inn Express

Having stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, I cant see how a single failure could cause this.

I think we need to know a little more about the system and the circumstances.
For what it is worth, the PH actuator is a really simple device and works nearly the same as the Vans actuator. And I have not heard any reports of the Van's doing this.

John S

Thanks for the response John. I also pulled circuit breaker for flaps and flew with flaps down and flaps did not retract. When electrical power to flaps is available, the flaps only retract to about half travel. Sure seems like an electrical issue or short?

One more thing to look at.

Have a very very close look at the torque tube right beside the weld where the actuator arm / bellcrank joins the torque tube.

It is rare but I have seen a virtually undetectable crack in the torque tube adjacent to the outside of the weld bead. This allows the torque tube to act as a torsion spring, where the actuator can operate normally , with various amounts of flap displacement.

I was absolutely convinced I had an actuator/ wiring/ switch issue and it took a few frustrated sessions of trouble shooting to find the actual problem on the underside(not easy to get a look at)of the torque tube.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Back