What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

James horizontal air filter kit

cposer

Anybody installed the Sam James airfilter kit on a forwrad facing fuel injector servo? Just got my kit and could use some advice and photos.
Thanks

I'm in the same boat... just got the cowl lined up and finished trimming last night. I pulled the instructions from the web site and plan on using those to start with once I get the hinges riveted on. My engine is I(O)360-M1B.

Horizontal hinge line by Dave Hock, on Flickr

Air filter

I made a alternative air door that’s manually operated . Also used some micro /epoxy to shim the assembly against the Servo to line up with the cowl. Made a silicone Hump Hose to connect the filter housing to the cowl .

Attachments

• 2C3827D7-6BF1-45F4-88B5-9AE723E9E629.jpg
    2C3827D7-6BF1-45F4-88B5-9AE723E9E629.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 332
Your options are the FM200 adapter ring from airflow performance (not sure it's a direct size bolt up, but should be close) or I bought a Amazon 3 inch MAF adapter plate and a 3" to 2.5" silicone reduction hose. It makes it a bit long, but it appears to fit.

I'm in the same boat... just got the cowl lined up and finished trimming last night. I pulled the instructions from the web site and plan on using those to start with once I get the hinges riveted on. My engine is I(O)360-M1B.

Horizontal hinge line by Dave Hock, on Flickr

Hard to tell by the pictures how far the snorkel sticks out past the cowl face, if any, but with fat blade CS props there could be a clearance issue. Verify with prop manufacturer. Don’t ask me how I know.

Here's a shot of my IO360 with Superior cold air forward induction, Vetterman crossover exhaust, Bendix injection, and the Sam James filter setup. This fit very nicely inside the Jame cowl. I had double firesleeve on the fuel line for insulation, trying to keep the temps down. This worked well for 4 years until I upgraded to the SDS system. I had to modify the filter housing slightly to accommodate the alternator bracket, thus you can see a few fiberglass resin drips down the left of the filter housing in this shot. The second image is looking at the discharge side of the filter, I cut down the rubber flange of the K&N conical filter and RTV'd it to the inside of the housing. It has never shown any indication of wanting to come loose.

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Mona at James aircraft just sent me this pic too. Looks like they have a solution. It's a 2 and 7/8" flange so you'll still need a slight reducer coupling, but should be a mostly plug and play solution.

Attachments

• bp-1back-plate.jpg
    bp-1back-plate.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 172
Here's a shot of my IO360 with Superior cold air forward induction, Vetterman crossover exhaust, Bendix injection, and the Sam James filter setup. This fit very nicely inside the Jame cowl. I had double firesleeve on the fuel line for insulation, trying to keep the temps down. This worked well for 4 years until I upgraded to the SDS system. I had to modify the filter housing slightly to accommodate the alternator bracket, thus you can see a few fiberglass resin drips down the left of the filter housing in this shot. The second image is looking at the discharge side of the filter, I cut down the rubber flange of the K&N conical filter and RTV'd it to the inside of the housing. It has never shown any indication of wanting to come loose.

I believe this is the old style FAB from SJ. Mine looks similar to the picture in the post above. Three parts: filter housing, backplate and transit duct. Let me know if you want more pics. I have a bunch I can email to you on my setup and modifications.
Dave

Last edited:
I believe this is the old style FAB from SJ. Mine looks similar to the picture in the post above. Three parts: filter housing, backplate and transit duct. Let me know if you want more pics. I have a bunch I can email to you on my setup and modifications.
Dave

Quite possibly - my cowl dates to August of 2014 shipment - unknown when it was actually produced.

Back