What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight

mags591

Alright, what is the Max takeoff weight you have ever left the ramp with? I know they say 1320 but I’m sure this plane is plenty capable of more. Many other kit planes that are eligible For LSA allow an EAB to be higher weight, but vans doesn’t. Has anyone upped the Max weight of your aircraft?

Many (maybe most) of the aircraft you are describing were originally designed to a higher gross weight.
The RV-12 specifically was designed to 1320 lbs. That allowed for optimizing the design of structure, etc., to that weight which then in turn provides for as light of an empty weight as possible. Which means better useful load at LSA weight limits (of which the RV-12 is a leader in the industry).

Hopefully that makes it clear that flying an RV-12 at weights above 1320 lbs is not a very good idea.

I agree with Scott's assessment. I am not sure what the fascination is with pushing the RV-12's speed and gross weight up beyond the baseline design requirement for LSA compliance. If your mission profile requires a higher gross weight or faster speed than the LSA limits, Van's does make the RV-9 which fits nicely above the LSA slot. I operate my EAB RV-12 (non-Rotax engine and IFR panel) within the airframe design limits, although I do occasionally push it near the VNE limit during descents.

I am sure there are those that operate RV-12s in the designer's reserve margin, and Van's has a history of not condoning such operation on any of the RV models.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

I operate my EAB RV-12 (non-Rotax engine and IFR panel) within the airframe design limits, although I do occasionally push it near the VNE limit during descents.

It’s important to remember that VNE is a function of TAS and not IAS. At altitude, TAS is higher leaving VNE with less margin. If you rely on IAS then VNE can easily be exceeded sometimes with a very bad result.

Good comment on VNE. On the Dynon Skyview you can set the Air Speed Limitations page to use TAS for the VNE speed and it will adjust the red VNE color segment on the IAS tape automatically to the corrected IAS VNE.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Good comment on VNE. On the Dynon Skyview you can set the Air Speed Limitations page to use TAS for the VNE speed and it will adjust the red VNE color segment on the IAS tape automatically to the corrected IAS VNE.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Correct
And if you use the settings files available from Van's Aircraft it configures it for you... no need to do anything.

It’s important to remember that VNE is a function of TAS and not IAS. At altitude, TAS is higher leaving VNE with less margin. If you rely on IAS then VNE can easily be exceeded sometimes with a very bad result.

Usually VNE at TAS comes into play at higher altitudes. In fact, my RV-12 POH calls out Vne as 136 KIAS below 16,000 feet, else 136 KTAS. Did this vary amongst model years/POH's?

Probably meat for another thread (or one that has already been beat up on). My only intent was to clarify based on what my POH calls out.

Cheers!

I agree with Scott's assessment. I am not sure what the fascination is with pushing the RV-12's speed and gross weight up beyond the baseline design requirement for LSA compliance. If your mission profile requires a higher gross weight or faster speed than the LSA limits, Van's does make the RV-9 which fits nicely above the LSA slot. I operate my EAB RV-12 (non-Rotax engine and IFR panel) within the airframe design limits, although I do occasionally push it near the VNE limit during descents.

I am sure there are those that operate RV-12s in the designer's reserve margin, and Van's has a history of not condoning such operation on any of the RV models.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

See I was more so interested because I am just starting my build, and I know there has been a lot of talk about the FAA changing the LSA regulations to allow more speed and weight, and I was curious if that changes, would the -12 be capable of an increased weight / speed.

I have had students ask me what if I do this or that bending the rules. My standard answer is, “I don’t know. Do you feel like being a test pilot? If you don’t know the outcome you are a test pilot.”

Back