What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

72" Hartzell Raptor Prop

Sarn

I'm New Here
Trying to decide on what prop to put on my 14.

Hartzell is now offering a 3 blade composite 72".

Obviously the composite is pricy, especially compared to a 2 blade aluminum.

I want a constant speed prop and trying to weight price, durability and performance.

I would prefer a 3 blade for climb performance and smoothness.

Any thoughts?

Look into the Whirlwind HRT props.. I plan on the 2 blade myself.. the 3 blades are smooth, but I feel they are slower in cruise and could be more difficult to remove the lower cowling. Plus if you ever need to ship out the prop for service, the 2 blade box is easier to carry and ship vs the 3 blade box.. the 3 blade does look cool sitting on the ramp though!

Kitplanes (Paul) ran an excellent article on prop selection recently.

Yes - I tested the three blade composite Hartzell Raptor and the three blade Whirlwind 300 - check out the July 21 issue of Kitplanes for my results and thoughts.

Paul, was looking at your Kitplanes July '21 prop article and also the referenced January '21 story. Each article compared your BA Hartzell with the WW300 3-blade, but there's a pretty big discrepancy in the speed runs in the intervening 6 months. Any idea what might have caused the huge difference of your BA prop at 2700 RPM? See screenshots below:

(July 2021 test)
July 2021.jpg

(January 2021 test)
Jan 2021.JPG

3 Blades

I have the WW 3 blade on my 14 and find cowl removal a no brainer even single person. The anti-splat nose fairing guard makes it easer. Hopefully the 10 will be the same but I think it will be ok. Smoothness and performance seem very good but I am probably biased.

Back