What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Handheld radio set-up

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Hi All,
My RV12 has one radio so I'm looking at getting a handheld. Curious to see what handheld radio you guy's prefer. Also, I'm interested to know if anyone has a handheld connected to an external antenna and what items were needed to set that up. Also, if you have an external antenna for the handheld, where did you locate that antenna?

Thank you,
Jack

Hi All,
My RV12 has one radio so I'm looking at getting a handheld. Curious to see what handheld radio you guy's prefer. Also, I'm interested to know if anyone has a handheld connected to an external antenna and what items were needed to set that up. Also, if you have an external antenna for the handheld, where did you locate that antenna?

Thank you,
Jack

I've used a handheld as the sole radio in three of my planes and they perform quite nicely when connected to an external antenna. In my case all three aircraft had belly-mounted 1/4-wave whips.

You might look at the Sportys radio, it doesn't require an adapter for aviation headsets which reduces cable clutter and simplifies installation. Also, alkaline batteries provide longer life than most lithium rechargeable packs and die gracefully instead of suddenly like the rechargeable batteries.

I've used a handheld as the sole radio in three of my planes and they perform quite nicely when connected to an external antenna. In my case all three aircraft had belly-mounted 1/4-wave whips.

You might look at the Sportys radio, it doesn't require an adapter for aviation headsets which reduces cable clutter and simplifies installation. Also, alkaline batteries provide longer life than most lithium rechargeable packs and die gracefully instead of suddenly like the rechargeable batteries.

Hi Sam,
I was looking at the Sporty's PJ2 today. I will probably purchase it. Thanks for your response.

keep it small

I like the compact form factor of the Yaesu or small Icom. Who needs a VOR or a big screen. Then it becomes my primary radio in the Pietenpol.
Bob

Jack please explain what you need a second radio for in a VFR plane?

Hans,
Your question seems a little snippy. Why do I need to explain why I would want a back up radio? Seems like it would be pretty obvious....

Last edited:
I wish my VFR plane had a second radio.. very nice when you want to pick up an ATIS while talking to atc without asking permission to leave the frequency for a few minutes..

Hi Jack,

I'm nearing the completion of my RV-7 build (VFR Platform) and I've intentionally planned my panel for just one radio. I'm going with the Garmin GTR200B, which, according to what I've read, has a built-in intercom and the capability to monitor the standby frequency, while staying on the active.

I currently fly VFR in a Piper Cherokee and the only purpose for my second panel radio is to check the weather/ATIS, while staying on frequency with ATC. I've always flown with a back-up hand held in my flight bag.

Recently, I upgraded to the Sporty's PJ2 and this will be my back-up radio in the RV-7. I have installed two COM antennas on the belly and run RG-400 coax from both antennas: one to the back of the GTR 200B and the other will be available just under the panel on the Pilot's side to connect into my hand-held via BNC when I need it.

The range of a hand-held when connected to an external antenna is impressive and is enough for me to be satisfied with it as my back up if/when I might need it.

I'll let you know later if this turns out to be a poor plan!

Ryan

Hi Jack,

I'm nearing the completion of my RV-7 build (VFR Platform) and I've intentionally planned my panel for just one radio. I'm going with the Garmin GTR200B, which, according to what I've read, has a built-in intercom and the capability to monitor the standby frequency, while staying on the active.

I currently fly VFR in a Piper Cherokee and the only purpose for my second panel radio is to check the weather/ATIS, while staying on frequency with ATC. I've always flown with a back-up hand held in my flight bag.

Recently, I upgraded to the Sporty's PJ2 and this will be my back-up radio in the RV-7. I have installed two COM antennas on the belly and run RG-400 coax from both antennas: one to the back of the GTR 200B and the other will be available just under the panel on the Pilot's side to connect into my hand-held via BNC when I need it.

The range of a hand-held when connected to an external antenna is impressive and is enough for me to be satisfied with it as my back up if/when I might need it.

I'll let you know later if this turns out to be a poor plan!

Ryan

Thank you Ryan. That is very good information and what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to write all that out. I fly in Florida in busy airspace and I just want the redundancy. How do you like the PJ2? Good luck on your RV 7.

My -12 has a GTR 200, with a standby frequency that can be monitored. I always carry a handheld when flying out of my area. We fly over the desert on long trips and “if” I had to emergency land somewhere outside of cell coverage the handheld would be handy on the trek to civilization.

Hi Sam,
I was looking at the Sporty's PJ2 today. I will probably purchase it. Thanks for your response.

I have both a Yaesu FT550 and a Sporty's PJ2 that I use for backup, even when flying (ahem) VFR :rolleyes: . I've found the Sporty's PJ2 to be the much better choice for ease of use.

2nd comm antenna placement on RV12

For anyone who installed a #2 comm antenna on the belly of your RV12, where did you locate it in reference to the plans installed #1 antenna?
Thanks

Jack,
I also have the Sportys PJ2, and I’m planning on it being my backup com in my RV6 that I’m building. My primary is the Garmin GTR200B. My plan is to have just one belly mounted antenna. It is mounted under my left knee forward of the spar, easily accessible in flight. If my primary com fails, the plan is to turn it off (important), disconnect the antenna coax at the antenna, and plug a short RG400 pigtail from there to my PJ2. I think it’s important to make sure you turn off the GTR200 first. You don’t want to inadvertently transmit from that radio without an antenna connected - at least that’s what I’ve heard - could be wrong about that, but it’s not working anyway so why not. Might even want to pull a panel mounted circuit breaker on the GTR.

Jack,
I think it’s important to make sure you turn off the GTR200 first. You don’t want to inadvertently transmit from that radio without an antenna connected - at least that’s what I’ve heard - could be wrong about that, but it’s not working anyway so why not. Might even want to pull a panel mounted circuit breaker on the GTR.

This is absolutely correct – having a radio transmit without an antenna will reflect RF energy back into transmit circuitry and cause damage. If you want to test a radio without actually radiating power, you can either purchase or build a dummy load.

SP400

I bought one of those Sportys SP400s with the battery pack and headphone adapters. Also have the cigarette lighter power adapter and external antenna. I mounted it on a Ram mount so that I can fly the glideslope indicator (hands free) in the event of an emergency. John

My handheld is an old KX99 that has an antenna adapter and cord (pictured). It provides a way to connect the handheld's BNC to my (single) COM antenna via a mini phono plug. When it's plugged in it disconnects the COM radio so there's no crosstalk etc. It involves a bit of plug-fussing but it's a good backup in case of panel radio failure. I don't think they're still made but they seem to be around (ebay etc.)
kx99_adapter.jpg kx99_cord.jpg

Hand held

I purchased a unit just like that about a year ago from Pacific Coast Avionic’s for about $85. I think it was a Icon brand. Have used it once when I had radio problems going into class D. Worked!

External antenna the way to go.

I carry a fully charged Icom A25N and also a backup alkaline battery pack.
I have matching bent whip 1/4 wave antennas on the belly. One for my panel radio and the other with a extension cable with BNC connector and coiled up in a side pocket along with a headset adapter. Have only needed it once when my panel radio failed but it was worth its weight in gold as far as I was concerned.
It performed just as good as my panel radio and a well worth the investment as a backup.

Last edited:
I have a PJ2 that I carry along in the flightbag (and for listening in to the action at SNF & OSH).
With just the whip antenna I can hear traffic at home base (8A1) and contact FBO in the pattern.
I'd think that's good enough for backup to the GTR200B ?

I carry a handheld with me too. Is it necessary with VFR flying? no. Is it necessary with IFR flying? no. (there's procedures to follow in case you go NRDO).

I took it one step further though.. I installed a second antenna on the belly.
I put a doubler plate on one of oval inspection panels, drilled a hole, and mounted a BNC connector such that it sticks through the skin. Then I've attached a typical BNC-attached handheld radio antenna to it.

The coax extends to an easily-accessible BNC jack in the cockpit; where I can plug my radio into it with a short length of BNC-to-BNC coax (or BNC-to-SMA coax, depending on the radio).
I also extended COM2 from the audio panel to appropriate plugs which i can insert into the radio. Essentially, it can act as an integral part of the airplane.. using the audio panel and headset... or in an emergency, I can disconnect the wires to it and use it as a standard handheld radio.

The janky antenna thing is intentional.. I sometimes replace the antenna with a HAM RADIO antenna .. the BNC connector makes it easy to change out antennas. I have yet to view the antenna with a GoPro to see how much it bends back in the 100mph wind.. but it seems to work OK. I may make a video about this on my youtube channel one day.

I’ve lost comms two times in the last 35 years, and fortunately both times VFR on a CAVU day. Both times due to alternator failure. The XPDR had enough power both times, but when I tried to key the Mike it dragged bus voltage down so I couldn’t transmit. I woke up PHX approach when I rolled through 7500 on my way to squawking 7600 the first time. I didn’t have my handheld with me that day and took the light gun from Glendale tower. All I could remember was steady green so fortunately that’s what I got. Now I carry a cheat sheet of light signals. The tower loved it. When I went up to make sure everything was cool they said, “ That was great! We never get to use the light gun!”

Second time I had my handheld, but the range was only about 4 miles with no external antenna. Fortunately another pilot heard me and acted as a relay until I got close enough to talk directly.

I have a PJ2 that I carry along in the flightbag (and for listening in to the action at SNF & OSH).
With just the whip antenna I can hear traffic at home base (8A1) and contact FBO in the pattern.
I'd think that's good enough for backup to the GTR200B ?
Handhelds with their own antenna are typically much better at receiving than transmitting. With my handheld I can barely get anyone to read me from 1/2 mile away, whereas if I connect it to my ship's antenna I can talk to the tower from 5 miles out.

But your radio may be different - I'd recommend testing two way communications in the plane from several miles to someone in the air and on the ground.

All I could remember was steady green so fortunately that’s what I got. Now I carry a cheat sheet of light signals. The tower loved it. When I went up to make sure everything was cool they said, “ That was great! We never get to use the light gun!”

For those who are going through their flight training or haven't done so in a while, it's a good idea to ask your local tower to use the light gun just so you know what it looks like.

I sure was glad I had done that when I had to squawk 7500 on my second solo.

I have yet to view the antenna with a GoPro to see how much it bends back in the 100mph wind.. but it seems to work OK. I may make a video about this on my youtube channel one day.

Will be looking out for this Rob. Interested in similar setup.

For those who are going through their flight training or haven't done so in a while, it's a good idea to ask your local tower to use the light gun just so you know what it looks like.

I sure was glad I had done that when I had to squawk 7500 on my second solo.

You got hijacked on your 2nd solo? How does that work? Multiple personalities?

Or was it 7600 for loss of communications, or 7700 for a general emergency?

Last edited:
whoops, I meant 7600.

This is what I get for not having my quick-reference kneeboard with me when posting…

No worries, it was a refresher for me, too. Seems I've always remembered to never use 7500, since I don't carry paying passengers. You know where to look, quickly, if the need (kneed?) arises.

Agree with handheld

I lost my electrical (alternator over voltage that fried my analog panel). Flying NORDO into Denver KAPA was stressful. Luckily my cfi (was during my IPC) had KAPA tower on his cellphone, and this made it easier to fly in Denver’s veil and sequence into busy KAPA airflow. I now always program my home airport tower phone number into my cellphone, and put a second antenna for my handheld mid belly for emergency use. The cellphone trick is nice in urban areas. 🛫. My handheld didn’t have much range without a real antenna (to transmit).
Cal

A good 1/4 wave length 2m band antenna on your handheld will really assist in transmitting your signal to the tower. The stock rubber ducky antenna that comes with most handhelds is pretty poor on transmit.

I run one on my Yaesu backup FTA-550, I'd say it's somewhere between 12.5 and 13.5 " long, and it's done in bright orange.

I had an excellent Yaesu for years, but it stopped transmitting, so I bought an Icom. A good radio but it has no abillity to connect to ships power, which the Yaesu did. I didn't realize that at the time as I ordered the previous model and got the new one.

Back