What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SV-6 Eyeball Vent Frustration

RViator60

Well Known Member
I didn't notice until after glueing my SV-10 NACA vent with the SV-6 eyeball and bracket that it's close to impossible to access the top outboard nut once installed on the fuse, which I needed to do to finish paint the part. I plan to install nut plates instead, although much harder to do now that they are installed. It's one of the few 'gotchas' I've encountered. Builders might consider this before installing the SV-10.

I am 15 hrs into phase 1 and my pilot side vent has already come unglued. Installed per plans. And yes I scuffed the mating parts and cleaned with solvent prior to installation. I originally installed the black plastic vents but since I have to reinstall I went ahead and ordered the aluminum vents from vans. On re-install I will try a different glue and possibly a few rivets if possible. I set the nut you spoke of in epoxy/flox mixture.

That's disheartening. I used Dowsil 737 and let it set up several days before touching it. I put quite some force on the vent to access the nut and it seemed pretty well bonded, but we'll see. Good idea about bonding the nut with flox.

I had the old black plastic ones. Major pain getting the screws and nuts on the back. They leaked between the black vent and the white plastic where the vent tube attaches because I trimmed them too far. I couldn't justify spending $160 each for two new ones so I opted for these instead.

They come in two parts so you can install a mounting bracket without the vent being in place then just screw the two halve together. And they leak very little in the cold Iowa weather. Not enough to notice anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_2432.jpg
    IMG_2432.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 483
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 5.18.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 5.18.15 PM.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 653
I have the "Whisper Flow Vents" (clear anodized aluminum) from Van's in my -14A, now about 25 hours into phase 1. Both vents have started opening spontaneously in-flight which is very cold in Montana. I have not found any way to "tighten" these vents so they don't open spontaneously. Any suggestions other than "plugging" the vents in winter?

anyone used the Vans SV-7 Vent

I just learned Vans has you buy the Vent shown on the drawings as SV-5 (which is no longer made. The SV-6 (aluminum) is $160 each. The SV-7 (plastic) is $65 each. Anyone have experience with the SV-7?

SV-7

I had the -5 on my plane. The Mrs. complained about the cold air leakage when closed. I didn’t want to spend the $ for the aluminum versions, so when Vans came out with the -7, I bought them. Been in use for a couple years and I am happy with them.

I had the old black plastic ones. Major pain getting the screws and nuts on the back. They leaked between the black vent and the white plastic where the vent tube attaches because I trimmed them too far. I couldn't justify spending $160 each for two new ones so I opted for these instead.

They come in two parts so you can install a mounting bracket without the vent being in place then just screw the two halve together. And they leak very little in the cold Iowa weather. Not enough to notice anyway.
This is an old thread so not sure you will see my follow-up - but I'm dealing with the same issue on my 6A (fresh air vents won't seal well and it's getting cold). Did the after-market air louvers you use simply install into the existing mounting plate without modification and the existing hoses just attached to them with hose clamps?

Back