What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 1/4'' Compatible CDI with a SL-30

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello All

Do you guys know of a compatible CDI ( Course Indicator) that will work with a Garmin SL-30 in a 2 1/4 '' size??

A GI-106A will be nice but they come in 3 1/8'' format only as far as I know.

My panel in my -4 is quite full and I'm running out of room.I need this to finalize my IFR upgrade..

Thanks

Bruno

I think you'll find conventional CDI's to be expensive. That's because they include all the OBS resolving electronics and indicators. It's borderline cheaper to buy an entire mini-efis and use it for the display, except I know of none that are only 2 1/4". Fortunately the OBS stuff is not needed with the SL-30. Read the installation manual, find the spec for the current needed for the CDI. Then install an appropriate CDI which is nothing but an ammeter, no OBS stuff. The SL30 can provide its own OBS setting with appropriate button pushing/knob turning. Not as convenient as a full-up CDI instrument, but how often are you going to use a VOR?

Hi Bob

The Mid Continent MD222-406 will be perfect but man are they expensive...:eek:I'll keep an eye out to see if I can find one at a decent price..

Bob T: I agree a small EFIS will be great but It will be hard to fit one with the space I've got...I will need to move stuff around for it to fit..

I'll review the installation manual for the SL-30 and see what I come up with.

Thanks

Bruno

Also…..
I don’t know how stringent Canada is about TSO rules and such for ifr in Canada, but….the SL30 itself will display a ‘bunch of dots left or right’ type of CDI, and you can dial in an OBS setting. No GS data though without an external GS display.

Hi Bob

''I don’t know how stringent Canada is about TSO rules and such for ifr in Canada''..
------------------------------
In Canada, to get your aircraft ( RV ) certified for IFR you have to have 2 independent source of Navigation and if using an EFIS, you also have to have a second CDI or EFIS in case the primary EFIS goes T/U...

I don't think Transport Canada will accept the SL-30 CDI as a source or the HSI on the GNS 480 that i'm using as primary NAV.. ..They are really picky on that point.

I will really like it if they did, it will save me a ton of work and money.

Bruno

You should be able to find the little Mid Continent on the used market for a reasonable price. I bought one several years ago for about $1000. When I went dual G5's I sold the Mid Continent it for a similar number. It is a nice little unit.

shot in the dark here....http://www.ifd-net.com/

Their IFD-MicroNet Plus is 57mm, and appears to have a CDI screen, though I can't tell if it is GPS driven only. Currently around 670 USD.

attachment.php

Attachments

• misc1.JPG
    misc1.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 135
Back