What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMA 245R Bluetooth call privacy

jliltd

Well Known Member
I have reviewed the G3X pilot’s manual. Garmin’s link to the GMA 245R audio panel operator’s manual on its site only shows the GMA non-remote model (no R in the model name) with physical buttons. So say I am taxiing along with a friend enjoying a tune from my Bluetooth linked cell phone over the GMA 245R remote audio panel. Then a call comes in and when I answer it is my banker with a wire transfer, or the IRS or my doctor with bad news. And maybe my passenger is napping or just no part of the conversation. You get the picture. How can I isolate the call so the passenger doesn’t have to listen to it? Drill down into the G3X audio intercom menu and pilot isolate? Will this allow the pilot to continued the call on his own or will the phone call be isolated out along with everything else except radios? Is there a shortcut to get such call privacy without starting a menu circus? Non Bluetooth headsets in case anybody was going to suggest. Any advice would be appreciated.

It probably works just like it would in your car... If it's playing over your car's stereo, all your passengers hear it. To make it private, pick up the phone and switch it to handset instead of bluetooth. In flight, less of an option... But you can probably wait until you're on the ground again to take a call.

I will say it. Calls should not be taken when piloting an aircraft. That feature is there so that you can make a call during engine warmup. It is bad enough that people in cars cause accidents while being distracted.

If you are taxing and you really need to take the call from the IRS, park safely, shut down the engine, take your phone off of Bluetooth, and conduct your business.

ICS Isolation Mode

I have reviewed the G3X pilot’s manual. Garmin’s link to the GMA 245R audio panel operator’s manual on its site only shows the GMA non-remote model (no R in the model name) with physical buttons. So say I am taxiing along with a friend enjoying a tune from my Bluetooth linked cell phone over the GMA 245R remote audio panel. Then a call comes in and when I answer it is my banker with a wire transfer, or the IRS or my doctor with bad news. And maybe my passenger is napping or just no part of the conversation. You get the picture. How can I isolate the call so the passenger doesn’t have to listen to it? Drill down into the G3X audio intercom menu and pilot isolate? Will this allow the pilot to continued the call on his own or will the phone call be isolated out along with everything else except radios? Is there a shortcut to get such call privacy without starting a menu circus? Non Bluetooth headsets in case anybody was going to suggest. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey Jim,

If you set the ICS isolation mode to Pilot before or during a phone call, the telephone audio will only be audible in the pilot side headset. The audio panel databar field displays the current ICS isolation mode, alongside the active telephone status as shown here:

ics%20isolation-M.png

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

I will say it. Calls should not be taken when piloting an aircraft. That feature is there so that you can make a call during engine warmup. It is bad enough that people in cars cause accidents while being distracted.

If you are taxing and you really need to take the call from the IRS, park safely, shut down the engine, take your phone off of Bluetooth, and conduct your business.

I’m sure if you look at aircraft accident statistics, talking on a phone is not a distraction that causes problems. There is no difference between talking on a phone versus talking to a passenger.

I bet dropping something in the cockpit causes more issues than phone calls.

Back