What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Cut

SeanB

Well Known Member
Hello,
I am performing the final tasks on my RV-7 engine cowl. I noticed the below drawing that instructs to cut the scalloped area behind the spinner plate at an angle. Van's Tech Support said this helps provide clearance when installing/removing the bottom cowl. I have never seen a plane with this cut in place.

Has anyone made this cut?
Did it help?

Thanks!

Attachments

• cowl cut.png
    cowl cut.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 161
That removed section may interfere with the starter ring gear/bell housing if it isn’t removed. Our cowlings fit pretty tightly to our spinner backplates by design (3/16” - 1/4”). Being able to keep the front nose of that cowl as far aft as possible, while tilting the aft portion of the lower cowl down first for removal, helps a lot.

That removed section may interfere with the starter ring gear/bell housing if it isn’t removed. Our cowlings fit pretty tightly to our spinner backplates by design (3/16” - 1/4”). Being able to keep the front nose of that cowl as far aft as possible, while tilting the aft portion of the lower cowl down first for removal, helps a lot.

It is actually so that the cowl clears the bottom of the spinner more easily. Doesn’t need to be dropped as low before it can move fwd.

Back