What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMU11 in Left Wing ADAHRS Mount Location

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Just running wires before i do the bottom skins, and i was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the GMU11 installed in the left wing ADAHRS mount?

Having trouble visualising how it would be installed so i can still get to the connector (placing the connector forward for ease of maintenance may interfere with the aileron pushrod).

Thanks in advance.

Not answering your question however I put mine in the right wing tip as many others have with good results. I did not mount it in the GMU-22 bracket that Van's supplies.

Attachments

• IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2973.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 495
GMU 11 In Wing of RV-10

Since I believe the RV-10 has a similar wing to the RV-14, I think my mounting method may be a possibility.

I had purchased a mounting bracket for the GMU 22 from Stein, before learning that Garmin had released the GMU 11 as part of their G3X system. So I used that bracket to mount my GMU 11 in the right wing, since it made the mounting very solid and easily accessible for future service. I mounted it just inside the outermost rib of the wing. See the photo below. [The blue cylinder behind the GMU is a battery operated light]

I mounted the GMU in the right wing, so as to keep it away from the higher current wires that I ran down the left side of my fuselage. I tried to segregate my wiring between the high current, typically non-shielded wires which I ran down the left side, and the low current, digital, typically shielding wires which I ran down the right side, to reduce the potential for RFI/EMI introduction into the digital systems.

Because I mounted the GMU 11 in the right wing, I also mounted the aileron trim and the autopilot roll servos in the right wing. Since with the Garmin system the GSA 28 roll servo is connected to the trim servo, I didn't want to have to run those wires between the 2 wings. This also allowed me to run the CAN Buss out to the GMU 11 and then back to the GSA28 which has a built in CAN Buss terminator.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• GMU11 Mounting in Wing.jpg
    GMU11 Mounting in Wing.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
G'day Trent

Just a quick note to say that if you mount it where Glenn did in post #2 it puts it very close to your lighting when the wingtip is bolted on.
I have had one customer solve interference issues by moving his GMU11 further back on the wing.
Garmin suggests keeping a GMU 1m/3ft away from just about any other electrical device...

Thanks Paul,

I agree - which is why I thought the left wing ADAHRS mount location was a goodun.

In my left wing I will have (I think!) your original position kit and your 4 globe taxi/landing kit. They are all obviously outboard. Then other than that I will have the magnetometer and the oat probe. Oh, also an archer nav antenna in the wing tip.

So running past the magnetometer (within about 10”) will be a twisted 3 x 18awg for taxi, landing, ground, and a shielded 4 x 20 for the position lights. They will run past the magnetometer but think I should be ok with this? There shouldn’t be any major magnetic fields I wouldn’t think?

Right wing has the same lighting, along with a heated pitot, roll servo and trim servo.

Well the Garmin manual suggests unshielded wires need to be kept 10 feet/3 metres away... but yes that shouldn't be an issue.
(I think Garmin would prefer the GMU to be mounted with duct tape on a wooden broom handle out in the breeze somewhere...)
I can count on one finger the amount of interference issues Flyleds lights have caused, and it was solved by moving the GMU away more than the 3" it was from the light and wiring.

A wire carrying current generates a magnetic field around it, which is how a motor works as an example.
If the positive wire out to your nearby device creates a 'north' magnetic field around it, then the current flowing in the return wire has a 'south' magnetic field. By twisting the wires together or at least using the same path, the two fields cancel out and the magnetometer sees no net change to the nearby magnetic field.

If you have a GMUxx in a wingtip ensure that everything else in that wing is grounded at the wing root or elsewhere, rather than at the wingtip, otherwise the wing itself becomes that return wire and creates that stray or extra 'south' field that the GMU might get distracted by.

GMU11 in original Position

This is how I wired mine. To prevent problems with the lighting, I used shielded cables to avoid interference. No issues in the workshop, but I did not fly yet.

Attachments

• IMG_7090.jpg
    IMG_7090.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_7092.jpg
    IMG_7092.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_7087.jpg
    IMG_7087.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 271
I've been thinking about using the 4 nutplates in the last wing bay towards the tip to mount the magnetometer. I think this may have been intended for a voltage regulator for halogen landing lights. Has anyone done this? Three possible concerns are:

1. Increased CANBUS length
2. Proximity to wing tip strobes
3. Shielding from leading edge.

G'day Trent

Just a quick note to say that if you mount it where Glenn did in post #2 it puts it very close to your lighting when the wingtip is bolted on.
I have had one customer solve interference issues by moving his GMU11 further back on the wing.
Garmin suggests keeping a GMU 1m/3ft away from just about any other electrical device...

Just to reaffirm what Paul is saying, I have my GMU11 in the right wing tip, but aft and farther away from the lights. I have Paul's wonderful landing light and NAV kit installed and it passed the magnetometer test without any issue at all.
If you are installing it in the left wing, be aware of the length of the CAN bus. Unless you are also installing your servo (assuming you have A/P) in the left wing as well, you will most like going well beyond the limit length for the CAN bus.

Just to reaffirm what Paul is saying, I have my GMU11 in the right wing tip, but aft and farther away from the lights. I have Paul's wonderful landing light and NAV kit installed and it passed the magnetometer test without any issue at all.
If you are installing it in the left wing, be aware of the length of the CAN bus. Unless you are also installing your servo (assuming you have A/P) in the left wing as well, you will most like going well beyond the limit length for the CAN bus.

I think I will put it on the ahrs shelf at the first inspection panel on the left hand wing. Since the roll servo is the furthest item that’s a logical end to the can bus. Then I’ll have the pitch servo as the other end - so will go from the panel out to the gmu11 and back again then across to the pitch servo. It’s hard to work out the can bus length at this stage because I haven’t got a fuselage yet!

For additional clarification I have mine installed in the right wing. I used shielded wire for lights and it passed the magnetometer test. I also have a 100 hrs flown without issues. I used Aerotronics supplied harnesses throughout the build not Van's harness. I know of several others mounted in this location.

For additional clarification I have mine installed in the right wing. I used shielded wire for lights and it passed the magnetometer test. I also have a 100 hrs flown without issues. I used Aerotronics supplied harnesses throughout the build not Van's harness. I know of several others mounted in this location.
A friend of mine also has it in the right wing and without any issue and he has probably around 300 hours. So, violating the CAN bus looks not to be a deal breaker. My own is also sitting closer to a servo that Garmin recommends and no issue.

Ended up making a little mount tray similar to the Vans GMU22 one.

Attachments

• 6BFA473E-814F-4794-A965-C445A507F46E.jpg
    6BFA473E-814F-4794-A965-C445A507F46E.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 302
  • EAA3584B-D32B-4A68-8557-BC186966F810.jpg
    EAA3584B-D32B-4A68-8557-BC186966F810.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 316
  • B9805190-B3AA-46ED-A720-56B99554E104.jpg
    B9805190-B3AA-46ED-A720-56B99554E104.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 293
I've been thinking about using the 4 nutplates in the last wing bay towards the tip to mount the magnetometer.

--- snip ---

I mounted my GMU-11 over 4-years ago. I did not use nutplates as they were magnetic. I used the Garmin supplied hardware (stainless steel) so as to not have anything that would cause an error.

Back