What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In search of DPE in WA for IFR check ride

dadjokes

Hi folks, I'm wrapping up my instrument training in my RV-10 which has been excellent! I have had a few DPE's give me the "No Experimentals" answer when I ask them to schedule. Does anyone know and can recommend a DPE in the Pacific Northwest that does check rides in RVs. I'm in Olympia, WA, so approx half way between Seattle and Portland.

Check examiners in Salem, OR. Can't remember the name.
Also, try Summer Martel in Port Townsend.

Thanks! I've reached out to Summer Martell. No response yet. I've been told she is usually booked out months in advance. geez. I'll keep looking.

Hi folks, I'm wrapping up my instrument training in my RV-10 which has been excellent! I have had a few DPE's give me the "No Experimentals" answer when I ask them to schedule. Does anyone know and can recommend a DPE in the Pacific Northwest that does check rides in RVs. I'm in Olympia, WA, so approx half way between Seattle and Portland.

Check Andy McIrvin. He’s based in Ellensburg but has an RV-7 that he commutes to DPE jobs in. Can’t confirm he does check rides in experimentals but worth checking with him directly.

You Could...

check with Ray Beverly. He is in Eugene, OR but has flown to other locales for DPE work. He flys an 8 and does IPC work in experimental. He has flown with me a couple of times in my 9A.
If you're interested, I can contact him to see if he is interested in flying up to OLM.

Thanks for the additional leads!

Interesting... Howard Wolvington was one of the DPE's told me he wasn't comfortable in experimentals.

Message left for Andy McIrvin.

Ray Beverly and I are in touch. He is booked for several months. But as I told him, the timing isn't critical as I am continuing to train regardless. Sounds like he would work out just fine with either him coming to Olympia at $1 a mile, or me going to Eugene... just it will be a while. If I can find someone sooner and closer I may do that.

PM sent with contact information for Neal (William) Karman. He built and stills owns an RV-8 and may be willing to do it. He spends time at Arlington Airport, Paine Field, and Harvey Field.

He is in the FAA DPE database: https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator

Last edited:
Back