What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual PMag + AFS tach wiring question

cdeggz

Well Known Member
I’m switching from dual magneto to dual p-mag on my RV-10.

I see the Dynon EMS-220 hooked up to my AFS-5600 has 2 tach inputs, but the installation manual has a lot of conflicting data on how to utilize them.

I’m curious if the AFS system can read in two tach readings, and if so how it handles/displays that data.

If only using one input, does it need to go to pin 32 or 33?

Last edited:
I’m switching from dual magneto to dual p-mag on my RV-10.

I see the Dynon EMS-220 hooked up to my AFS-5600 has 2 tach inputs, but the installation manual has a lot of conflicting data on how to utilize them.

I’m curious if the AFS system can read in two tach readings, and if so how it handles/displays that data.

If only using one input, does it need to go to pin 32 or 33?

I’m not sure it matters, but I would do 32. Just remember that there is a left and right config on the EFIS. You just need to ensure you configure the correct pin.

I used both. It switches rpm reading to each mag when you do the mag check. If there is significant rpm difference, just another indicator that you may have difference.

Thanks Bob! I was curious if you have two screens if one can be configured to show left pmag RPM and the other screen the right pmag RPM. That could potentially help with troubleshooting in the air.

One more q.

When you said “I used both” does that mean you put one pmag to 32 and one pmag to 33?

Thanks Bob! I was curious if you have two screens if one can be configured to show left pmag RPM and the other screen the right pmag RPM. That could potentially help with troubleshooting in the air.

No, only one rpm guage on the engine screen. You would have to talk with AFS about options.

If you have the standard ACS, then the guage will show whatever the switch is set to at the moment. When set to both, my experience is was set to the higher rpm setting of the two. You can test that by setting the number for the number of pulses for two revolutions to something other than three and seeing the impact to the both setting.

Back