What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire lacing knots not holding

Steve Crewdog

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all,

Spent today lacing a run of wires together, got to a section that involved a curve and the tyes would not hold, almost immediately came undone. Went back over some of the tyes on the straight portion and some held, some didn't. I went back to the curve I had been working, did a few more and paid very careful attention to what I was doing (in case I was tired and getting sloppy), and they still came undone. Wondering if I trimmed the ends too close, or I'm tyeing them too tight, or...???

I'm using Method 2 as shown on the Aeroelectric Connection website, with waxed lacing cord. http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/cable_lace/cable_lace.html

Anyone else ran into this?

TIA

Just me

I dont use this method.but if the square knot is loosening, make sure you are doing a square knot and not a granny knot. On a square knot, the two ends that cross should come from the same side of the loop. A granny lnot has the two ends that cross perpendicular and not from the same side of the loop. Lastly, you could try a second twist on the cross over.

I think you may be right, I looked at the failed knots and the main parts were still intact, leading me to believe that one piece of line was "slipping through" the knot. I was also thinking that I was accidentally tying 2 half hitches, which would leave one piece of lacing cord accidentally becoming a standing line, and allowing it to slip through.

Page 11-63 of AC43.13 has some good examples of tying wire bundles. I also had to place an extra loop after tying the square knot because some of the ties showed signs of loosening.

https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac_43.13-1b_w-chg1.pdf

If you want additional knot information. The Ashely book of knots is the bible of knot tying. https://archive.org/details/TheAshleyBookOfKnots/page/n185/mode/2up.

We lived on a sailboat for a while and between that book and the live aboard community we learned a lot about tying knots.

it's been my experience that after securing something it takes 3 half hitches to make the knot slipproof. i don't even think about it anymore, just tie 3 half hitches.

Whiping

From my sailing background, i have found this technique very easy and secure.
Only requires a three or four wraps. Very quick and easy. Dental floss works great in a pinch!

https://youtu.be/n2HFjSW37a8

Last edited:
I've never used "method 2" . I've always used "method" 1, even on the biggest wire bundles.

Also, what kind of lacing are you using? My favorite is the Nomex lacing that my former employer uses. But, it can be hard to find. If you're using lacing that doesn't cinch down and tends to want to 'spring' apart before you tie the square knot, try something different.

The wax lacing cord that Steinair sells is easy to make nice neat wire bundles. Because it is waxed, it will hold some tension while you're tying the knot, making for a nice tight bundle. However, you need to wear something to protect your fingers. I used to tape the 1st knuckles on my index fingers to prevent the waxed lacing from sawing into the skin.

Last edited:
Method 2

I use the second method. You can cut wire with it. Never comes loose, but does requie a "square knot". Practice on shoe laces. A square knot will lay flat as tied. A "Granny" will rotate 90 degrees after releasing. Right over left, Left over right or whatever helps you remember.

Surgeons knot

So in my post above, I use the surgeon’s knot but with an extra twist on the top, so the top and bottom twists are equal number. I found it works well on the stiff lacing tape.

Thanks gang, back at the hangar this morning and redoing everything I did yesterday, and making sure I tie square knots, not granny knots. About 1 out of 20 have come apart, but I think another factor in the failure is that I was not leaving the 1/4" pigtail, I clipped them too close "trying to be precise" in my work, just by rubbing my thumb back and forth over the knot I was able to get them to fail. Now I'm leaving a precise 1/4" pigtail. :)

Almost done redoing what I did yesterday, I should add it's not the initial lacing, I'm adding 2 wires to the landing light circuit for wig-wag and adding them to the already laced bundles. Was going to cut out the previous lacing, but decided to leave it, can't hurt anything. I think.

I use the second method. You can cut wire with it.

Which also brings up another concern, I worry about cinching it too tight and damaging the wires. Any thoughts about that?

I've never used "method 2" . I've always used "method" 1, even on the biggest wire bundles.

Also, what kind of lacing are you using? My favorite is the Nomex lacing that my former employer uses. But, it can be hard to find. If you're using lacing that doesn't cinch down and tends to want to 'spring' apart before you tie the square knot, try something different.

The wax lacing cord that Steinair sells is easy to make nice neat wire bundles. Because it is waxed, it will hold some tension while you're tying the knot, making for a nice tight bundle. However, you need to wear something to protect your fingers. I used to tape the 1st knuckles on my index fingers to prevent the waxed lacing from sawing into the skin.

I discovered that by only duct taping the bottom of my fingers I get full use of them but still protect my fingers where it counts. I'm using waxed lacing cord from ACS.

Attachments

• Resized_20220206_121101.jpeg
    Resized_20220206_121101.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Back