What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is a bad to let a propeller sit?

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I’m slowly acquiring things I’ll need to finish my RV-10 build, knowing prices continue to climb and the time it takes for delays. That being said, I’m planning on buying a Whirlwind CS prop but won’t actually be ready to fly for at least two years. Is it bad for the prop to just sit on the shelf not being used? Any concern for seals going bad, or corrosion?

Thanks,

Rick

I’m planning on buying a Whirlwind CS prop but won’t actually be ready to fly for at least two years. Is it bad for the prop to just sit on the shelf not being used? Any concern for seals going bad, or corrosion?

Methinks you should be asking Whirlwind.

Also consider when a manufacturer starts the warranty clock (at sale, at installation, etc.).

Not to mention that the clock starts ticking on the first prop inspection. There are calendar-based as well as operating hour-based guidelines for sending it to the shop for an inspection that every manufacturer has. My Whirlwind prop listed 650 hours or five years, but they all vary somewhat.

After the calendar time has passed, they'll replace O-rings and seals as well as inspect for corrosion (at a minimum), even if you don't have the first hour flying on it. Yes, that happened to me when I bought a prop on a group buy here. While I did get a good price, that was eroded away with the first inspection that ran about $1K.

You'll need the prop to fit the cowling, but I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to buy one prior to that.

The lead times for Whirlwind Propellers isn't very much. I ordered one last summer and got it in less than 6 weeks.

Thanks all

Thanks for the advice. Wait I shall, and did not realize WW had caught up with their production this much. That’s good news!

Back