What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Gun Misfiring?

JBarsness

Patron
Happy New Year all!

Have any of you had a rivet gun "misfire" in the middle of setting a rivet? I've been using my trusty Taylor 3x for a year and a half now and it's been great. Finished the empennage and am about to start wings... All with no issues except when it was a few months old - it would push the rivet set out but not cycle when the trigger was pressed. Lots of tapping and air tool oil fixed it and it was running perfect ever since.

I was bucking some 470-4 rivets the past few days and once every 15 rivets or so, the gun would literally sound like it was an engine misfiring. Every time it sounded like that, the rate of hits slowed as well. What sucks is that I ended up smearing the rivet slightly when this happened. If I was quick enough to release the trigger, it wasn't an issue. But a couple of odd sounding hits in a row and it might deform the head enough I would consider drilling it out and replacing the rivet.

I've used pneumatic tools for many years and keep them well-oiled and clean. I have a call in to Taylor and Cleaveland Tool to get an idea of how to best address it. But in the meantime, I'm curious - have you had something similar happen to your rivet gun and what were you able to do about it?

Thanks!

JB

I have 2 Taylor guns a 2 and a 3. They have built several RV's but every once in awhile the one, I think the 3, although it makes no difference, would do the push out the set but not respond to the trigger. I finally got irritated enough and took it apart and polished everything with a scotch bright pad and it worked like it should from then on. I did could not see a burr but one must have existed?

My nearly-new Taylor 3X began sticking; pull the trigger and it would pause, then decide to operate at some random time and speed. Taylor said it was due to Marvel tool oil being too thick. They recommended cleaning with lacquer thinner, then a thinner oil. I did that and it failed in the "full-on" mode, which can get interesting. I sent it back and they replaced an O-ring. I don't think it has the greatest trigger action. I have some other fine, well-used Taylor air tools but I'm not super impressed with the rivet gun. Bottom line though, it may just be a bad O-ring.

It is pretty straight forward to dismantle a rivet gun, although a fairly long wrench (2ft extension pipe on the handle) might be needed to free the barrel. Clean it internally and should be good to go. My trigger did fracture, but it was 20+ years old and spares are available.
Pete

Just a follow-up. I called Taylor and they just said to send it in. It has a lifetime warranty anyway and you void it if they find evidence that you took it apart.

I sent it in on a Monday and had it back by Friday and it works perfectly. "Cleaned and lubricated. Works great." was what the slip said when it was returned.

Not the happiest I had to send it in, but I'd be willing to bet my case is a one-off and I'm thrilled with their service!

I've been using the same ATS Pro 2X gun now for several years. The only time its done anything like a "misfire" has been because the beehive spring had backed off just far enough the set didn't get a full stroke.

Back