What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

04/29/2020: Garmin Introduces the Aera 760 Portable Aviation GPS

So if I want to hide my GDL39 can I install a remote ADSB antenna and get GPS into it from the Aera 660 like in this wiring diagram or does the GDL39 need it's own GPS antenna? My drawing is very crude but I think shows what I'm trying to do.

AERA 660 has an external GPS antenna connected

G5s have an external GPS antenna connected

GDL 39 doesn't have an external antenna (unless you guys tell me it's needed)

Your question being answered, your diagram may be trouble. The GDL 39 and aera 660 have to be connected with both TX and RX wires set to the same data format of "GARMIN DATA TRANSFER". So your blue wire in the diagram is also going to the G5's RX pin in parallel with the GDL 39. You can't do that since the data formats are not compatible. So the G5's want the different data format setting of "AVIATION IN/NMEA & VHF OUT" so you would have to send that to them on their own channel from the 660 with that proper format. So in your example it would be 660 blue wire to GDL 39 Green/White wire, 660 yellow wire to GDL 39 Green Wire. For that connection the area 660 Data Channel 1 (TX1 and RX1) would be set to "GARMIN DATA TRANSFER". Then you would connect the 660 Orange wire to the G5's pin 4. For that connection the aera 660 Data Channel 2 (TX2) would be set to "AVIATION IN/NMEA & VHF OUT". For extra points you could take this same "orange" circuit and route it to a VHF com that allows for remote standby tuning via the SL-40 protocol. That works because those radios use the same data protocol setting as the G5's.

Oops. You said you had a GDL 39, which is a portable unit. But I just noticed you put pin number for connections on your diagram. If you have a DSUB connector then you have a GDL 39R, not a 39. Also, that unit only has a 9 pin connector and you are showing to use pins 13 and 14, which the GDL 39R does not have.

Do a little homework and get back to us here.

Your question being answered, your diagram may be trouble. The GDL 39 and aera 660 have to be connected with both TX and RX wires set to the same data format of "GARMIN DATA TRANSFER". So your blue wire in the diagram is also going to the G5's RX pin in parallel with the GDL 39. You can't do that since the data formats are not compatible. So the G5's want the different data format setting of "AVIATION IN/NMEA & VHF OUT" so you would have to send that to them on their own channel from the 660 with that proper format. So in your example it would be 660 blue wire to GDL 39 Green/White wire, 660 yellow wire to GDL 39 Green Wire. For that connection the area 660 Data Channel 1 (TX1 and RX1) would be set to "GARMIN DATA TRANSFER". Then you would connect the 660 Orange wire to the G5's pin 4. For that connection the aera 660 Data Channel 2 (TX2) would be set to "AVIATION IN/NMEA & VHF OUT". For extra points you could take this same "orange" circuit and route it to a VHF com that allows for remote standby tuning via the SL-40 protocol. That works because those radios use the same data protocol setting as the G5's.

My last hope and I'm pretty sure it does, if the JPI accepts the "AVIATION IN/NMEA & VHF OUT" then connect that port to both the JPI and the G5s.

Last edited:
Oops. You said you had a GDL 39, which is a portable unit. But I just noticed you put pin number for connections on your diagram. If you have a DSUB connector then you have a GDL 39R, not a 39. Also, that unit only has a 9 pin connector and you are showing to use pins 13 and 14, which the GDL 39R does not have.

Do a little homework and get back to us here.

I have a 39 not a 39R. The pin numbers are from the 39 connector that I bought at Mouser and I'm wiring up right now. $70 for a Garmin bare wire cable or $4 for a Mouser connector, I chose the latter.

GDL39 pin 13 is Data IN B and pin 14 is Data OUT B

Attachments

• IMG_9504.jpg
    IMG_9504.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

So this should work AND I still get the extra points where I could (I'm not going to) connect that "red line" to a VHF Com that allows for remote standby tuning via the SL-40 protocol, correct?

Attachments

• Document1b.png
    Document1b.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Since you are making your own bare wire cable you have gone too far off the reservation for me. Everything you need should be in the documentation for each device. But yes, I think the JPI can be paralleled with the G5s with that same data protocol. Again it should all be in the device documentation or with a phone call to either manufacturer.

Since you are making your own bare wire cable you have gone too far off the reservation for me. Everything you need should be in the documentation for each device. But yes, I think the JPI can be paralleled with the G5s with that same data protocol. Again it should all be in the device documentation or with a phone call to either manufacturer.

Thank you. The data protocol issue was my main concern. I'll know if it works next week, I finished wiring the connector (just have to finish installing the metal plates and plastic covers) but I won't have time to install and test it because the 660 wiring is in the plane already connected to the AirGizmo mount and the JPI.

Thanks again for all your help and the others who offered suggestions too. Electronics has always been my main hobby while flying has been my job but now that I'm retired and only fly for fun, integrating electronics into aviation feels great.

Back