What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator trailing edge straightness

woodsideraff

Well Known Member
We are ready to drill the elevator pushrod attachment and noticed about 0.15" deviation from a straight line at the right elevator inboard edge.

Vans assures me that this is totally acceptable. Nevertheless, I'm curious to know what other builders are obtaining.

Last edited:
Did you stagger the clecos from one side to the other?

I found that when putting all the clecos on one side, it would pull the flight controls into a slight bend.

(Click to enlarge]

Then when it came time to rivet them up, I half set one in the very middle, one on each end, and then split the difference between the middle rivet and the end rivet and half set that one. I also marked each hole and alternated the direction the rivets were installed, again to keep them from "pulling" the control surfaces. After all the rivets were in and half squeezed, I went back and finished squeezing them.

The trick to squeezing them was to grind a pair of rivet sets to an angle that matches your control surfaces.

(Click to enlarge)

Last edited:
The trailing edges are not bent; they are straight within a couple of thousands. It is just that the right elevator has a tilt of 0.15" across its 50" with respect to the left, (or vice-versa).

If my math is correct, there is a misalignment of .02 degrees.

If Van's says it's fine, then it's fine. That amount of misalignment should not matter.

I purchased two sections of angle aluminum from my local hardware store. They are approx. 5'5" long. Place said angle aluminum on the skin just above the clecos with a bit of clearance for your squeezer feet. Clamp onto skin between cleco's. Might have to find some smaller clamps that fit between the cleco's. I also alternated the factory head on the rivets.

Edges came out dead straight.

Attachments

• Angle clamps.png
    Angle clamps.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 202
Back