What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Light Module - A World First

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
RV Light Module - A World First - well I could not find any other products like this. Backtrack a bit. We here in SA went to Level 5 lock down late in March. I could not see myself doing nothing during that period and have decided to to start with an idea that I have been rolling around for the last two years or so.

I can post the whole thought process and how it has evolved, but decided to just present you with the final product.

-: A modular design with a Nav Light, Strobe Light and Landing Light all in one.

-: A Modular design where the end user can swop out each light module as well as each Power Supply

-: Adjustable with one screw

-: Three canned Power Supplies in order to eliminate RF Noise

-: Easy installation or retrofit without even removing the wingtip

-: 400 Lumens Nav Light

-: 2750 Lumens Strobe Light

-: 1500 Lumens at 11 degrees Landing Light

-: 5A total consumption

Below is a cad render, another render of the two modules, installed left and installed right. We have done extensive testing and the first small production run is in process.

Attachments

• RV Light in Wingtip_ 1.PNG
    RV Light in Wingtip_ 1.PNG
    770.1 KB · Views: 638
  • RV Light Module_2.png
    RV Light Module_2.png
    836.4 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
Have you measured the brightness of the nav and strobes at different angles (up, down, forward, out to 110 on the side)? Here in the US EAB aircraft have to meet the same standards as normally certified aircraft.

Thank you for all comments.

Price: I am going to ship some out to the USA using two different methods as shipping is now the variable with regards to pricing. I am really hoping to get the final price at around $1100 for the set. It is hard to compare it as there is nothing similar to compare against.

Oh by the Vlad I think you might have some of my Intersection Fairings on your RV like hundreds of others.

Yes the brightness at angles have been measured and it exceeds the FAA requirements by some margin.

Thank you for all comments.

Oh by the Vlad I think you might have some of my Intersection Fairings on your RV like hundreds of others.

We were just talking about those robust little things. You shipped them direct to me from SA. The amount of beating the fairings took is unimaginable. Still attached great job Jan thanks!

What I did not mention is that there is a wire you can connect to sync the two strobes. Then there is also a built in function to strobe the landing lights as well as a wig wag mode for the landing lights.

Below is the rear of the module where you can see the three switch mode power supplies and weatherproof connectors. Note the metal cans in order to contain RF noise.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 415
RV10 update

Just an update - I have recently acquired an RV10 and therefore had the time to see how an install these light modules into the RV10 wingtip. It was actually quite easy by just adding an adaptor plate that moves the bases slightly inboard. It does not affect anything else like light angles. Really happy with it. Now to update the install documentation.
The first picture is of the one wingtip with the old nav/strobe removed. The second picture is the end result. The carbon fiber is vinyl to cover the old marks and holes.

Attachments

• IMG_6116.jpg
    IMG_6116.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_6148.jpg
    IMG_6148.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 362
Fitted them yesterday

Fitted them yesterday and they working very well.

Attachments

• 41C39041-0595-4C30-813D-0D468C98F65B.jpg
    41C39041-0595-4C30-813D-0D468C98F65B.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 249
Very cool.

I also have a taxi light in each tip, aimed differently than the landing light because it is tailwheel. Any solution for that?

Hi Steve,
The lights are easily adjustable by loosening the screw and moving it up or down. If one only use these in the tips I would think of having on at 0 degrees and one at about 10 degrees down, with reference to the wing chord line.

Also keep in mind that the lenses are 10 degrees which on it's own is a nice spread.

Below is a picture where you can clearly see the adjustment screw and slot.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 291
Thank you

Welgedaan oom Jan!! Lyk na nog een van oom se goeie produkte! Translation for the Yanks on the forum - "Well done uncle Jan! Looks like another one of your great products!"

Ngiyabonga Nthati - Baie dankie :)

Last edited:
Just to report that I have finished yet another RV10 retrofit from old lights to my new and modern modules.

Attachments

• 72B27CBD-92FC-4EB8-9CE2-DB3E4486F3F1.jpeg
    72B27CBD-92FC-4EB8-9CE2-DB3E4486F3F1.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 142
  • E26BEA54-D0C0-4159-9CC6-72AF3E4EBEB6.jpeg
    E26BEA54-D0C0-4159-9CC6-72AF3E4EBEB6.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 161
RV7A Lights

These lights look fantastic. I currently have the same ones in your picture on my 7A. I’ll check FlyboysAccessories and order a set.

Very nice upgrade.

Thanks,

Thank you Gene

FlyBoys are running a special offer right now on my request. Please make sure to get the install documents on my website and shout out to me anytime.

Back