What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crack in a flap rib

kaa

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I was doing a condition inspection on my RV-7 and found that the second-most inboard rib has a crack in it (see photos). There was a corresponding crack in the skin that was previously repaired (I think somebody had stepped on the flap), but I guess they didn't notice the rib crack. Would you have any suggestions on repairing this? I can't really get to it without removing the flap cap, other than maybe to stop-drill it. Any suggestions on what to do? I asked Vans support, but if anyone has suggestions in the meantime, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks,
Konstantin

Attachments

• 20210721_12_26_06.png
    20210721_12_26_06.png
    669 KB · Views: 273
  • 20210721_12_26_14.png
    20210721_12_26_14.png
    692.9 KB · Views: 296
  • PXL_20210721_182658967.jpg
    PXL_20210721_182658967.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 444
Repair

Looks like you have 3 options.
Stop drill and come up with an inspection program ie: every 10 hours then 20 then 50 etc., if no further cracking.
Stop drill and install an angle doubler.
Replace rib.

Yeah. I'm trying to decide between 1 and 3. Unfortunately I have to remove the flap spar to get access to that area, and at that point it'd be easier to just replace the rib.

A buddy of mine mangled a flap on his RV6 and Vans sold him a new assembled flap. I want to say it was around $400 but it's been a while so I might be wrong on the exact amount, I remember it was very reasonable.

Rivets

Those rivets aren’t the greatest either. Just saying. But I feel like I am throwing stones in a glass house because I probably have a few too.
I mention this now because it may be a data point in making your decision.

You could build a new flap in a couple of days for not much $$, or Van’s does sell assembled flaps as previously mentioned.

New flap suggestion

The original repair with the pop rivet going through the cracked area of the flap skin doesn't look too great in the photo. Also some of the rivets along the leading edge appear to be loosened and/or moving.
Any repair to the rib will mean opening up the flap and repainting it afterwards, so depending on the standard of the rest of the aircraft, it may make most sense to replace the entire flap, as others have suggested.

I would build a new flap. I think we under estimate the loading on flaps when you deploy them. Rather safe than sorry

Yeah - build a new flap might be the easiest option.
Monitor every 10 hours until flap is ready?
Pete

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, appreciate the suggestions!

I got a response from the factory and they said stop drilling and monitoring it is fine. I'll probably do that and assemble a new flap some time later.

I'm pretty sure this crack has been there for years (it looks like someone stepped on the flap maybe), but I do want to get rid of the pop rivet repair.

So reading between the lines here, it sounds like you didn't build your airplane. But you said in your first post that you were doing a condition inspection when you discovered this.

I'm probably overthinking this, but you do know that you can't sign off a condition inspection unless you are an A&P or hold the repairman's certificate for that specific airplane, right?

Back