What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Control Placement

I'm looking hard at an RV-14A. I'm wondering why we don't see many if hardly any RV-14A's with the engine controls placed in a more ergonomic position like the center console as seen in the Socata TB-10 or TB-20?

It would be nice to drop the right hand down and have a hand on these controls with out reaching.

Socata's are are very comfortable as they were designed in an era when pilot ergonomics were a design consideration.

Attachments

• Socata interior.PNG
    Socata interior.PNG
    511.4 KB · Views: 371
One of the reasons you don't often see this is that it takes up valuable space in a tight cockpit. When the time comes that you need to crawl under the panel, you'll see what I mean.

In addition to taking up unnecessary space, push/pull controls (with vernier mixture and prop) for me at least are more practical.

I’ll leave the quadrant in the RV-8 however.

Carl

It certainly could be done in a -14 (some RV-10s have a center console with quadrant), but it adds cost, weight, complexity, and as others have noted makes maintenance more difficult.

Thanks for the guidance, the replies make sense. Perhaps the quadrant engine control module only between the seats. Should be easy to unscrew and lift up for accessing fuel filter?

Should be easy to unscrew and lift up for accessing fuel filter?

That is not your main issue. Suggest you find a buddy with a 7 and try to access behind the panel on your back. Pretend you are soldering or crimping wires and installing tie wraps with one hand. Now imagine the incremental difficulty if there was a console in the way.

Larry

Isn’t the canopy on the -14 easily removable? Seems the main benefit of the tip up canopy has been touted as better avionics access behind the panel?

Isn’t the canopy on the -14 easily removable? Seems the main benefit of the tip up canopy has been touted as better avionics access behind the panel?

But not underneath. There's a lot down there you still can't get to from the top.

It is “removable”, but that would involve disconnecting wiring, too, which would not necessarily make it easy. Most of the avionics on and behind the main panel can be accessed from the seats or standing on the ground next to the airplane. In my case, there are additional things located behind the sub-panel, but aft of the firewall, which require some headstands/contortions.

Last edited:
Are you putting flaps, fuel pump, and possibly smoke switches there also?

I designed my panel so that while my hand is on the throttle all the above can be reached without looking, and without removing my hand from the throttle.

Go arounds can get busy with flaps, if you fly any formation having the smoke switch located so Ray Charles can find it is a must. What always looks cool, isn't always the most user friendly for many reasons.

Have you ever wanted to just stretch your legs a bit?
Working under the panel is hard enough let alone having the quadrant stuff/wiring in your way. Having anything in the middle isn't something I will/would want and wouldn't buy a plane with such a limited leg room. The fuel valve in the center is bad enough.
I'm 6'3" tall so maybe that's my problem. I like leg room.
I'm not a submarine, But, have spent enough time under my panels to not want the head ache and confusion.
My three cents for all it's worth Art

It certainly could be done in a -14 (some RV-10s have a center console with quadrant), but it adds cost, weight, complexity, and as others have noted makes maintenance more difficult.

But with a -10, you can open the door and lay down on the floor! Can't do that with a -14.

-10 Vs. -14 is NOT "Apples-to-Apples"

Last edited:
Another problem with quadrants is that almost all (all?) of them use only a single axis for all three controls. This means that if you loosen the friction to move the throttle easily, the mixture and prop can creep. Vernier prop and mixture controls solve this.

Also, not sure about your comment about more ergonomic. I have no problem finding any of the power knobs in the RV-9A. Moreover, there are standard shapes for the different controls so that you can double check which one your hand is on entirely by touch. (Yes, some power levers have that, too.)

I've never had a need to keep my hand on the throttle while operating any other switch, with one exception -- in the RV-8, it would have been nice to be able to dump the flaps on rollout with my hand still on the throttle.

Absolutely no need to operate the fuel pump with hand on the throttle -- there's plenty of time to turn the pump on or off, landing or after takeoff, and it doesn't hurt if it runs extra.

Last edited:
The biggest problem I see is the loss of drink holder space!

Attachments

• 504D2ADF-C5A7-4183-8C87-B40F88AD13E1.jpg
    504D2ADF-C5A7-4183-8C87-B40F88AD13E1.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 205
Leg Room

Per the comment on leg room, in my -7, if Outo is flying on a long cross-country, being able to stretch out the right leg over to the right side is a big bonus. And just wrapping up my CI, crawling under there, even for just accessing fuel filter is going to be hindered with a center console.

Jam Nut?

The latest Flight Chops youtube video shows they did exactly that.

Needed? Or does the cable in the sheath have no way of rotating?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-09 12.02.24.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-09 12.02.24.png
    711.5 KB · Views: 198
Looks like the FlyingChops RV-14 build implemented a center console engine control quadrant.

Attachments

• 098EF3EC-8F06-4DDC-9400-1EF9436694F3.jpeg
    098EF3EC-8F06-4DDC-9400-1EF9436694F3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 204
Back