What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why I built an RV

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
As we're all spooling up for OSH, life goes on.

Tanya drives a 2006 Toyota Tundra "truck" that she pretty much loves at this point because it is has been hit and dinged from every side and corner. It is her own personal "I don't care" mobile. :). She loads it up with stinky dogs, hauls gravel, WAYYYY over gross, and hands the keys to anyone that comes along. Forklift driver pokes the box, "whoops".

But tonight, she had a little sun visor problem whereby it had ejected some hardware, not to be found. Apparently this was the most critical issue of this Mad Max vehicle. The other screw was found on my bench with a pic of the missing screw in the truck in assembly.

ON IT! MS24694 almost a perfect fit. Heck, I was prepared to jam a 1/4x20 in that sucker. But building an RV isn't about just barely, but what you really want. We end up with hardware. Hardware has value, and I intend to maintain a bit of all that I have used to build airplanes (not just RVs). Time to re-order MS24694.

2021070120565435-5236483408098490522-IMG_1221-M.jpg

This pic is from a simpler time many years ago. RV building and organization doesn't have to be complicated.

I've gone to my airplane building supplies MANY times for stuff/hardware for the boat, motorcycle, car, pickup, etc to fix something around the house.

Platenuts and rivets come to mind quickly for the boat trailer.:)

Hardware is not the only leftover from my building. The practical knowledge of how parts are attached, what fasteners are best where, and how to fix or modify stuff are all carry overs to lots of projects for home, car, and other hobbies.

Last edited:
Nuts,bolts,etc

Since I was a kid I’ve picked up hardware found in parking lots and ramps. I also bought floor sweepings from aircraft factories.

A few years ago a B-17 broke down locally and the maintenance crew went hangar to hangar looking for parts and support.

I looked at their needed parts and said give me a few minutes. I located the exact fittings and identical wire they needed. I had the correct tools, so in about :15 minutes they were headed back to install parts and soon were flying again.

That produced a certain degree of pleasure!

I would have thought a B-17 was certified and therefore required certified traceable parts. I guess they are categorized as experimental. I now have new respect for the B-17.

I always carry a small supply of hardware that might get dropped/lost if I have to work on the RV on a trip, or that might be discovered missing -- #6 and #8 screws, Tinnerman washers, nylon lock nuts, washers, Skybolt fastener, etc.

There's a business opportunity here for somebody to supply spare hardware kits like that. I hope I qualify for a *substantial* discount...

Back