What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Paint

Sully73

Paint decisions,
My plane is not intended to be a show plane. Just something to fly and look reasonably good. I am using a local auto paint shop to shoot the paint.

I plan to use the "Prekote" treatment instead of alodine, prime, paint, then use Vinyl decals for numbers and accents.

The local paint store recommended the PPG CPC single stage urethane paint. Does anyone have experience with this product?

Or they said I could spend 4X and use the PPG Concept?

Any advice on any part of my plan?

Paint decisions,
My plane is not intended to be a show plane. Just something to fly and look reasonably good. I am using a local auto paint shop to shoot the paint.

I plan to use the "Prekote" treatment instead of alodine, prime, paint, then use Vinyl decals for numbers and accents.

The local paint store recommended the PPG CPC single stage urethane paint. Does anyone have experience with this product?

I think your low cost plan is great. Keep it in a hangar and the paint will be happy for decades.

Painting

I bought PPG ESSS Single stage polyurethane paint for my RV 14. My painter really liked using it and it came out great. Used factory pack GM 50 Olympic white (chevy truck white) cost about $108.00 a gallon plus activator and hardener. Beats a gallon of Jet Glo aviation paint.

I say go for it, I used a single stage Urethane paint (Nason) and am happy enough with the end result. It's not show winning quality and probably looks like a first time painters job, but also being a first time builder it fits with my project. And it cost me less than $1000...

Having zero prior experience with painting meant I just went with the paint shop recommendations.

Prep was a thorough go over with scotchbrite and detergent, rinse and dry, wipe down with wax and grease remover, light coat of etch primer, light rub down with scotchbrite to remove any dust or bugs etc then more wipe down with wax & grease remover then the top coat. I did paint components individually before assembly.

Time will tell how it stands up but it seems to be a robust and forgiving paint to use.

Russell

Attachments

• Finn RV 3B (1).jpg
    Finn RV 3B (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 285
  • Finn RV 3B (2).jpg
    Finn RV 3B (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 266
PPG Desothane

PPG Desothane is their premier aircraft coating. Its single stage and very tough. I painted my RV-4 with Desothane white 12 years ago, and don't even have a scratch. We use it for commercial aircraft at my day job. Easy to shoot, I painted mine myself and used the PPG DP series primer after a scotchbrite and soapy water scrub down. I also applied a cheescloth application of Alodine and rinse prior to the primer.

RV4 Paint

Use the best paint you can afford. I used Nason and it has held up reasonably well for the last 14 years. With that said, Nason paint will stain. Oil on belly will turn Nason white paint a dingy, brownish tinted white. Fuel will stain the paint if you leave it on the paint as in a leaking fuel cap. I have personal experience with the paint staining. My airplane looks great but I wish I had used a better paint.

Paint decisions,

The PPG concept single stage and the Nason 2k urethane single stage are excellent products. Plus you can sand and buff to perfection with both. Although I’m not familiar with the economy PPG single stage but I’m sure that’s a good product as well.

Last edited:
I say go for it, I used a single stage Urethane paint (Nason) and am happy enough with the end result. It's not show winning quality and probably looks like a first time painters job, but also being a first time builder it fits with my project. And it cost me less than $1000...

Having zero prior experience with painting meant I just went with the paint shop recommendations.

Prep was a thorough go over with scotchbrite and detergent, rinse and dry, wipe down with wax and grease remover, light coat of etch primer, light rub down with scotchbrite to remove any dust or bugs etc then more wipe down with wax & grease remover then the top coat. I did paint components individually before assembly.

Time will tell how it stands up but it seems to be a robust and forgiving paint to use.

Russell

My -8 paint was just like Russell’s. Nason over SPI epoxy primer with a lot of degreasing and sanding,mostly with a DA sander. Also painted the parts before final assembly. Two years and looks new. Mine is not going to win trophies at OSK but I did it all myself and saved many thousands v a paint shop and I still get compliments on the paint.
Bill

Back