What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Software Update 12.20 (6/9/2021)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello,

We released G3X Software Version 12.20 to the Software Download Area today. Please note from the list shown below that many system LRU's have new software. After processing the update, go to the Device Information page on PFD1 and verify all LRU's successfully completed their respective software update before switching back to normal mode and verifying proper operation for the updated system.

There are a few frequently requested updates included in this revision, some of which were recently made available for G3X Touch systems, such as the transfer of fuel flow data to GTN (Xi) Navigators. Our primary mission is to increase the margin of safety for owners and operators of EAB aircraft, and we are very happy to also include a number of updates that improve system reliability and redundancy in this release.

• One of the most frequently requested updates we have received is to allow fuel flow information to be sent from the G3X to an adjacent GTN (Xi) Series Navigator. This G3X software update will make this possible. Updated GTN (V6.71+) or GTN Xi (V20.12+) software is required for this to work. Once the GTN is updated, change the ARINC input on the GTN (that is receiving data from the GAD 29) from EFIS FORMAT 2 to GDU FORMAT 2. You will then be able to select Use Sensor Data on the GTN (Xi) Fuel Planning page. No configuration change is required on the G3X side. Fuel Remaining is also sent to the Navigator using this datapath.

i-ktmJpmm.jpg

• GEA 24 P Lead RPM Sensing. 24.3.5.3 of the G3X Installation manual, revision AN provides specific installation guidance for this type of installation. A MOD 2 GEA 24 is required to make a direct connection from the GEA 24 to a P-lead for these purposes.

• Provide DST data on GARMIN VHF NAV output, to an SL 30 NAV/COM. To enable display of this information on the SL-30, Press SEL while in NAV mode. Turn the large knob to the DST datalist. Press ENT to enable the display of DST data.

i-hZS2vxc.jpg

• Improved redundancy in communication between transponder and GDU. A transponder communicates with the G3X system through a serial connection to the GSU 25. The GSU 25 typically already has a backup RS-232 datapath to the GDU in place for ADAHRS data redundancy purposes. In the event of a CAN bus failure, the transponder can now use that existing backup RS-232 datapath, providing GPS data to the GDU if the transponder is an internal GPS model, and making transponder remote control possible.

• Further improved redundancy of transponder datapath. We now make possible an RS-232 connection from the transponder to a second GSU 25, in dual GSU 25 installations.

Change History:

• Add fuel flow/quantity labels to EFIS/Airdata ARINC 429 output format
  • Add ability to control transponder via reversionary ADAHRS RS-232 connection and/or redundant RS-232 connections to multiple ADAHRS LRUs
  • Add support for RPM sensing via P-lead connection (requires GEA 24 Mod level 2)
  • Add DST data to VHF Nav/Com RS-232 output format
  • Add additional data to Text Out RS-232 output format
  • Add support for Rotax SCU 9iS FADEC interface
  • Improve audio alert output
  • Improve ARINC 429 output
  • Improve radio tuning RS-232 interface
  • Improve heading display when true direction is selected
  • Improve weather legend display of wind barb symbol
  • Change Rotax FADEC CAS alerts based on updated guidance from manufacturer
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to G5 software version 7.10
  • Includes update to GAD29 software version 3.40
  • Includes update to GEA24 software version 3.80
  • Includes update to GSA28 software version 4.90
  • Includes update to GSU25 software version 4.30
  • Includes update to GSU25C/D software version 2.60
  • Includes GAD13 software version 2.00
  • Includes GDL39 software version 4.91
  • Includes GI260 software version 2.80
  • Includes GMC507 software version 2.90
  • Includes GMU11 software version 2.10
  • Includes GPS20A software version 2.40
  • Includes GPS20A GPS software version 2.10
  • Includes GSU73 software version 3.80
  • Includes GSU73 IGRF database version 1.04 (Base Year 2020)

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks!

Thanks TeamX! I love my G3X and am thrilled that it's still well supported.

G3X Software 12.2

I sure hope Garmin has tested this version before the roll out. Version 12.1 caused errors on 3 different systems causing many hours of troubleshooting and reloading old software versions!!! I will not be installing for at least a year. Someone else can test it not me!

On the G3X Touch, to get the fuel data working, do you need to change the GTN ARINC input format?

If that was in a previous update, I missed it...

Thanks!

Ed

On the G3X Touch, to get the fuel data working, do you need to change the GTN ARINC input format?

Thanks!

Ed

It's in the release notes -- change the ARINC input on the GTN (that is receiving data from the GAD 29) from EFIS FORMAT 2 to GDU FORMAT 2.

I missed it also -- what's not clear is what the G3X needs to be set to -- EFIS Format? 1, 2?? (Guessing EFIS Format 2)

I had to delete and renew my bluetooth connections after the last update for everything to work properly that way.

Thanks!

Ed
Ed, I think this update is just for non-touch G3X. Most current version for G3X Touch is still 8.81 according to the website.

Fuel Flow Configuration

Thanks!

Ed

Hello Ed,

The configuration guidance needed to allow fuel flow to be transferred to the GTN (Xi) can be found in this post. Please let us know if you have any questions.

• One of the most frequently requested updates we have received is to allow fuel flow information to be sent from the G3X to an adjacent GTN (Xi) Series Navigator. This G3X software update will make this possible. Updated GTN (V6.71+) or GTN Xi (V20.12+) software is required for this to work. Once the GTN is updated, change the ARINC input on the GTN (that is receiving data from the GAD 29) from EFIS FORMAT 2 to GDU FORMAT 2. You will then be able to select Use Sensor Data on the GTN (Xi) Fuel Planning page. No configuration change is required on the G3X side. Fuel Remaining is also sent to the Navigator using this datapath.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Ed, I think this update is just for non-touch G3X.

Agreed. But my GTN is running 6.70, not 6.71, and has the older setting. I've not used the GTN fuel functionality (yet), and wanted to try it out.

I did discover that the G5 shows Density Altitude. I'd forgotten that...

I'm not sure what "MOD 2" means, does it mean new Garmin part number?

Sort of, on the side of the Garmin units there is a production label that contains serial number, part number, assembly number, etc etc. If there is a mod level, the corresponding "dot" will be removed. See attached:

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Well I decided to try out this new software and see if it is any less buggy than the 12.1 release. After installing 12.2, I am now getting a "COM Failure" and "DSP failure" on my SL30. After discussing the issue with tech support, they believe the SL30 has failed. They can not find any reason that the upgrade would cause the issue. I see that one of the "improvements was the display of additional data on the SL30.

So $1000 later a newly refurbished unit arrives at my door which I installed today. Surprise! I am still seeing the same COM Failure message. It takes about 20 minutes before it manifests itself.

Tomorrow I am going to revert back to 12.0 and see if the issue goes away. Prior to my downgrading the software, I may just turn the serial port off and see if it makes any difference.

Justin, any ideas?

Last edited:
So I decided to disable the RS232 port that communicates with the SL30. I flew for an hour without failure. Sounds like a software bug or possibly an incompatibility with the SL30 software version. I’m going to downgrade the G3X software back to 12.0 again.

My latest G3X version was 12.0 prior to installing 12.2 a couple of weeks ago. I powered on everything to make sure all components had their software updated. After that, a ground check revealed everything operating normally. A 3 hr. cross-country last week and another 3 hr. trip this past week confirmed normal operations. My G3X system contains 2-GDU375 screens, GSU73, GMU44, GMC305, roll and pitch servos, G5, interfaced with GPS 175, GTR200(#1 comm) and SL30. Sorry to hear of your difficulties, but 12.2 works for me.

Last edited:
What would be the result if the wrong software was installed…that is, for the GDU 3XX instead of the correct GDU 460?

It appears that some Bozo did that with my G3X Touch.

I have G3X 370 and have just updated to v12.20 and v6.71 on my GTN (not Xi). I did change the ARINC setting, and have the GSU73. I changed the ARINC to [GDU FORMAT 2] as instructed by Justin and the (rebooted) 650 (not Xi) showed the exact "fuel remaining" and "fuel rate" in the new screen.

Thanks Garmin !!

Last edited:
2nd time...

What would be the result with the incorrect software uploaded?

For those in Rio Linda...the G3X GDU 3XX software was loaded, but the actual hardware is a G3X Touch, GDU 460.

Last edited:
Me too

So I decided to disable the RS232 port that communicates with the SL30. I flew for an hour without failure. Sounds like a software bug or possibly an incompatibility with the SL30 software version. I’m going to downgrade the G3X software back to 12.0 again.

Interesting, I upgraded to 12.2 and had the same COMM failure on my SL-30. Glad I read this post. I also managed to lose the connection to my Transponder and my autopilot, so I think I either have some reverting to 12.0 to do, or some other configuration/debugging to figure out everything I lost.

So glad I read this, it saved me from easily going through the same path you just did.

Interesting, I upgraded to 12.2 and had the same COMM failure on my SL-30. Glad I read this post. I also managed to lose the connection to my Transponder and my autopilot, so I think I either have some reverting to 12.0 to do, or some other configuration/debugging to figure out everything I lost.

So glad I read this, it saved me from easily going through the same path you just did.

Me too!! thank you!

Garmin Help with 12.0?

Has anyone successfully resolved the issues with 12.2 and the comm problems? It looks like it has been 6 months since the first report of these issues. I contacted Garmin when I found these issues with mine a month ago and have not heard anything.

Failing that, does anyone have 12.0 so I can revert? The old revisions get wiped from the website when the new one comes out, and I download them straight to a SD card, so I don't keep the back-revs. Looks like I should very much change that.

Last edited:
G3X Software Update

Good Afternoon,

We will have a software revision available for GDU 3XX displays shortly. We will post here when the download is publicly available.

Thanks,

Justin

Back