What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick trip to South Dakota

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Well school is out for the summer so now that I'm not teaching for a couple of months how better to spend time than with family and RV!

I decided to cross another state off the list. The weather was too awesome so I made a last minute decision and texted the wife that I was going to Belle Fourche SD.

First up, mountain crossing. I am almost completely surrounded by mountains so when I get the chance to get over them I try and take it! Luckily there is a couple of areas to get over them that still have some semblance of landing options.

IMG_0808 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Hardly any clouds in the sky! Also for those that don't want to put gloves on your dash make sure you mount the GPS pucks elsewhere and use the flattest paint you can find! :D

IMG_0810 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

This is very typical terrain in Wyoming. You can see why I like to fly so high above this stuff, always trying to keep something within glide.

IMG_0813 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I'm still at 11,500 for this picture which makes these mines looks way smaller than they are. If you ever get to land in Gillette WY you will fly right over the big one on approach for RWY 16 which is just barely out of view.

IMG_0817 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

On my way it occurred to me, Devils tower should be... oh jeez I won't even have to divert! It was right on the left side of my track. Very cool from the air.

IMG_0831 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After about an hour and 15 min I was in Belle Fourche. While on approach I was hoping to hear someone that had no idea how to pronounce the name but only 1 local was in the pattern. :)

IMG_0833 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Picked up some fuel after the much needed restroom and took off for home with another state crossed off my list. This picture and the last one reminds me of Scott Chastains write ups on his epic America journeys. I was basically alone at the airport and it was very peaceful. Those were very big sources of motivation for me while building. I will point out though a very big difference between him and I; he is an english teacher and I'm a math teacher so his writing is much better than mine.

IMG_0836 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

IMG_0838 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Jereme,

Thanks for keeping the passion of travel alive! I think what I love the most about your journey to South Dakota is the because I can tone of it. Being able to wake up one morning and say to yourself, "I think I'll fly to South Dakota today," makes building one of these sweet machines so worth it.

You made me want to pack up the bags today, Jereme. Too bad for me. I have to teach summer school through June. :rolleyes:

Best wishes on future travels, my friend!

Scott, I think there's a few more of us (myself included) that do it because we can.

Quick beer run to Great Raft in Shreveport, turned in to an Odyssey.

Plan was to go just north of Shreveport for cheap fuel then back down to DTN to borrow the courtesy car and run to the brewery. Well, what's that saying about plans......

3F4's fuel pump was offline and I still had an hour's worth of fuel so I fired up Foreflight and headed over to ASL (Marshall, TX). Fueled up in Marshall, headed back to DTN and completed the rest of the mission as planned.

On the way back I was flipping through the different screens had to stop for a second and really appreciate this thing I built in my garage, and to think in that a split second I could turn north and land in Chicago or pass up home base and continue to South Florida.

Sorry Jereme - didn't mean to hijack your write up.

Attachments

• marshall.jpg
    marshall.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 239
  • beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 266
  • range.jpg
    range.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 257
Hey Jereme, you are probably thinking you should have built your plane a few years ago. Glad you are enjoying it. Since you flew into SD it reminded me of Mr. Veterman that made the Veterman Exhaust pipes he had yearly RV fly in's in Hot Springs, SD airport. A few of us took our RV's from KFNL, They had rides to our motels and had barbeques that evening, then the next day we all flew over MT Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower then over to Wall Airport for lunch in Wall Drug Store. Really enjoyed it. Cheers-Bob

Jereme,

Thanks for keeping the passion of travel alive! I think what I love the most about your journey to South Dakota is the because I can tone of it. Being able to wake up one morning and say to yourself, "I think I'll fly to South Dakota today," makes building one of these sweet machines so worth it.

You made me want to pack up the bags today, Jereme. Too bad for me. I have to teach summer school through June. :rolleyes:

Best wishes on future travels, my friend!

Ya I got lucky and dodged the summer school bullet this year. :) Thanks for posting and thanks for the great motivation with your write ups over the years! Maybe I'll get to meet you on one of the journeys, you are always welcome at my place.

Scott, I think there's a few more of us (myself included) that do it because we can.

Plan was to go just north of Shreveport for cheap fuel then back down to DTN to borrow the courtesy car and run to the brewery. Well, what's that saying about plans......

3F4's fuel pump was offline and I still had an hour's worth of fuel so I fired up Foreflight and headed over to ASL (Marshall, TX). Fueled up in Marshall, headed back to DTN and completed the rest of the mission as planned.

On the way back I was flipping through the different screens had to stop for a second and really appreciate this thing I built in my garage, and to think in that a split second I could turn north and land in Chicago or pass up home base and continue to South Florida.

No worries Ryan.

Hey Jereme, you are probably thinking you should have built your plane a few years ago. Glad you are enjoying it. Since you flew into SD it reminded me of Mr. Veterman that made the Veterman Exhaust pipes he had yearly RV fly in's in Hot Springs, SD airport. A few of us took our RV's from KFNL, They had rides to our motels and had barbeques that evening, then the next day we all flew over MT Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower then over to Wall Airport for lunch in Wall Drug Store. Really enjoyed it. Cheers-Bob

Man that sounds like an awesome trip!

Jereme,
I had some time to go to VAF and went right for your write-up. Great to see you out and about. I am in LA for a long spell and looking forward to getting back to work on the plane so I can come out and visit Wyoming! Seems flat compared to Oregon but those mines are crazy big and deep!

See you soon Jereme!

Jereme,
I had some time to go to VAF and went right for your write-up. Great to see you out and about. I am in LA for a long spell and looking forward to getting back to work on the plane so I can come out and visit Wyoming! Seems flat compared to Oregon but those mines are crazy big and deep!

See you soon Jereme!

I figured you must be out in Cali for awhile based on your Instagram posts. Looking forward to it my friend! This post has boring Wyoming in it. Where I live and all to the West is nothing but big bangers. With an engine this new I hate flying over them though. Haha

Great Raft is one of my fav’s when in Sherevport!

Attachments

• 2EAB3365-07D1-4278-8CF0-7C426B47E8BE.jpg
    2EAB3365-07D1-4278-8CF0-7C426B47E8BE.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 229
Back