What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VariPrime 615S - Discontinued - Need Alternate

I love VariPrime self etching primer. I can prime with Variprime in the dark, and it comes out great. I can hit it with a hammer and it wont come off. If you have been a long time user of VariPrime I suspect you love it too. I got some devastating news the other day from my paint supplier, that VariPrime 615s has been discontinued. Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!

They told me the direct replacement is Axalta 420. I bought some and tested. After scuff with scotchbrite and washing to remove oils and drying 24 hours I can scratch it of with my fingernail just as easy as dried mash potatoes on a plate. In fact, the dried potatoes stick better than this stuff does.

anyway to the point of my post. Has anyone out there found a good replacement for a Self Etching Primer, as good as VariPrime????

I love VariPrime self etching primer. I can prime with Variprime in the dark, and it comes out great. I can hit it with a hammer and it wont come off. If you have been a long time user of VariPrime I suspect you love it too. I got some devastating news the other day from my paint supplier, that VariPrime 615s has been discontinued. Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!

They told me the direct replacement is Axalta 420. I bought some and tested. After scuff with scotchbrite and washing to remove oils and drying 24 hours I can scratch it of with my fingernail just as easy as dried mash potatoes on a plate. In fact, the dried potatoes stick better than this stuff does.

anyway to the point of my post. Has anyone out there found a good replacement for a Self Etching Primer, as good as VariPrime????

Have you considered using epoxy primer?

Mashed potatoes

... In fact, the dried potatoes stick better than this stuff does.

How about thinned mashed potatoes? Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Lots of choices. SEM for rattle can self etch.
Akzo or Kirker Enduro Prime for 2K Epoxy
P60G2 for super light wash primer

I’m pretty sure nobody would use rattle can primer if they ever sprayed some 2-part epoxy. When I was building the empennage for my -8 I tested two of the popular spray can primers and AKZO epoxy on identically prepared aluminum samples and tested them with tape adhesion tests, bending with a dimple die and resistance to solvents. I wish I would have documented it better but there was no comparison. The epoxy was much, much better in all of these tests. Not the same ballpark or even league.

Epoxy

I settled on two part epoxy after trying several rattle can primers early in my build. The adhesion and resistance to scratching are superior with the epoxy and makes the extra effort worthwhile. My preferred brands are Southern Polyurethane (SPI) and Tampco Paint. Product quality is good and cost is less than the big name companies.

https://tamcopaint.com/
https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Another decent epoxy primer is Stewart Systems's EkoPoxy. It's water-based and water-thinned. Quite tough. I clean the spray gun in the sink under running water.It dries to the tough pretty rapidly.

I'm using it for my cockpit and baggage areas, white for good maintenance or loading but dark gray where it might reflect to the canopy of my RV-3B. Elsewhere I'm using SEM rattle can primer, which is also decent. The SEM does not require a spray gun or cleaning the gun afterwards.

Dave

Variprime has always been my favorite. Ditzler made a good etch primer called DP which contained lead and was replaced with DPLF; LF means lead free. The problem with DP is it needs to be scuffed and a new coat applied if not finish painted over, within I think 60 days

VariPrime

Brian,

While searching for VariPrime I came across this thread. I see where you had info that this is discontinued but I found this link for VariPrime http://products.axaltacs.com/dcat/us/en/dr/product/615S.html on Cromax's website.

I found a source local to me, is it the same product your refer to as Variprime you have been using? I want to check with you that it is the same product before I spent a few $$$ on it.

Thanks,

Scott Arnold

Back