What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making a 3/16" Socket

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
The RC Allen trim display finally lost enough LED segments that it needed to be replaced. I have a spare, but before starting to fuss with a bunch of thin wires, I wanted to see how much slack in the wires there was to work with, to see if this would be morning surgery or all day surgery.

The tiny screws (smaller than #4 screws, use a #0 Phillips) go into washers and nuts. Only one came loose, using a finger to keep the nut from turning. What to do? Didn't see any 3/16" wrenches on the web, and I wasn't at all sure that a 3/16" socket would fit. Besides, that socket was at home and I was at the hangar.

I thought of making a 3/16" open end wrench from aluminum -- we're not talking serious torque, here, folks -- but then I got a better idea.

Took some brass tubing and tapped successively larger Torx fitting into the end. Wound up with beautiful, six sided socket about 2" long, perfect fit, and very thin wall. The other end is flattened in the vise to provide some finger grip.

Hope it works...

At one point, I saw replacement LED segments on the web but didn't order them. If I can find same again, I'll order, install, and again have a spare unit.

Last edited:
Trim display

The RC Allen trim display finally lost enough LED segments that it needed to be replaced. I have a spare, but before starting to fuss with a bunch of thin wires, I wanted to see how much slack in the wires there was to work with, to see if this would be morning surgery or all day surgery.

The tiny screws (smaller than #4 screws, use a #0 Phillips) go into washers and nuts. Only one came loose, using a finger to keep the nut from turning. What to do? Didn't see any 3/16" wrenches on the web, and I wasn't at all sure that a 3/16" socket would fit. Besides, that socket was at home and I was at the hangar.

I thought of making a 3/16" open end wrench from aluminum -- we're not talking serious torque, here, folks -- but then I got a better idea.

Took some brass tubing and tapped successively larger Torx fitting into the end. Wound up with beautiful, six sided socket about 2" long, perfect fit, and very thin wall. The other end is flattened in the vise to provide some finger grip.

Hope it works...

At one point, I saw replacement LED segments on the web but didn't order them. If I can find same again, I'll order, install, and again have a spare unit.

I think I still have one. It came with the elevator trim kit. Shoot me an e-mail (below). I will try and find it.

Have 2

I think I have 2.

Anybody with electric trim and a Garmin or Dynon glass panel probably has extras laying around.

Making A 3/16 Socket - Some of Mine

A few that I have made over the years - mostly working behind an old (legacy) panel with instrument depth getting in the way of the retaining fasteners.

The wrenches with hex handles & "wings", allow a slow, cordless screw driver to loosen/tighten, and the "wings" are for finger work. Sized from 3/16 - 1/4.

The gray, wooden handled wrench is a magnetic nut starter for those hard to get to places. I made those from 5/16 - 3/8

The T-handled Bondus Allen hex driver was for some obscure need that has long since been forgotten - but still comes in handy once in a while.

I've told my family that my headstone should read: "He Never Met A Tool He Didn't Like!"

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

HFS

Attachments

• DIY - Small Wrenches.jpg
    DIY - Small Wrenches.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 91
I've told my family that my headstone should read: "He Never Met A Tool He Didn't Like!"

That's like the story of the man whose wife asked, "Don't you have enough tools?" and he replied, "Why" Do you know were there are some for sale?"

Back