What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

acetone in paint - rear window

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
What paint is everyone using for their rear window? It appears most people are painting the 3/4" strip along the edge of the window on the RV-14 so that the tank sealant doesn't show thru. From what I understand, acetone is bad for the window and canopy and can cause crazing. I'm looking at several rattle can spray paints and acetone is a common component. Wondering if this is enough to cause a problem or I'm just over thinking it.

Jeff

I painted mine with Tremclad Professional rattle can paint. Same paint I use for the rest of the interior. Did not know of the potential concern. It has been over a year since I painted mine and I have not seen any issues. I am pretty happy the way it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_3300.jpg
    IMG_3300.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3327.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 110
I have painted around the edges of a lot of windows and never an issue. I use JetGlo paint.

Just use the paint on the window with no primer. You want to see color from the inside.

If you want to remove all concerns about paint, use a strip of vinyl instead. Same stuff they use for wrapping cars and planes. Comes in oodles of colours that you can probably find a match in. And it's removable/replaceable later if you want to change it...

I used the decal vinyl used at sign shops. Choose a color that matched and removes one nut/screw at a time then reinstalled with the vinyl in place. Didn't take long and looks good so far 29 hours.

Back