What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plans error - Attaching vertical stabilizer RV8

Rv8bill

There must be a mistake on plans sheet 73 in the 1/2 scale view showing the 3 bolts that attach the bottom of the vertical stabilizer to the bulkhead. The plans drawing shows the vertical dimension between the bottom bolt and the top two bolts to be 7/8". However, this cannot be correct. I'm guessing the engineer failed to apply the scale factor (1/2 scale), so the aictual dimension should be closer to 1 3/4". Can anybody confirm?

Thanks to both for responding. My plans date is 11/15/05. View 'AA' at the top of page 73 is 1/2 scale and clearly shows "7/8 2PL" for the distance between the bottom bolt and top 2 bolts. The 1 23/32 distance makes sense. I'm sure this dimension was inadvertently applied to the scaled-down view instead of full size, or incorrect scale factor used prior to printing. As someone who used to use Autocad quite a bit, guess why I suspect this?
Thanks again

I'm guessing the engineer failed to apply the scale factor (1/2 scale),

I'm sure this dimension was inadvertently applied to the scaled-down view instead of full size, or incorrect scale factor used prior to printing. As someone who used to use Autocad quite a bit, guess why I suspect this?
Thanks again

Slightly off track, but:

Hopefully a professional engineer/designer using AutoCAD is controlling plotted scale by correct use of viewports and layout scaling instead of simply drawing the view 1/2 size in model space! Scaling plotted views by correct use of viewports does not change the displayed dimensions.

Skylor

Vans Plans

Van's typically recommends that those who have old drawings purchase the digital drawings with the latest and greatest revisions from them. They'll send them to you on a memory stick, resplendent with the Van's logo. It's not expensive, and it's pretty handy to have around.

Download Plans/Drawings

For instant gratification, you can download the latest plans & drawings for free from Vansaircraft.com. Sign in to the store at Vansaircraft.com and go to My Aircraft. You will probably need to add your aircraft info. Once your aircraft info is set, you can download latest plans and drawings.

For instant gratification, you can download the latest plans & drawings for free from Vansaircraft.com. Sign in to the store at Vansaircraft.com and go to My Aircraft. You will probably need to add your aircraft info. Once your aircraft info is set, you can download latest plans and drawings.

Yep. You can order the USB stick, but the web-store method described above will allow you to access the latest published plans at any given point in time. You do have to create a store account (so the system can know who you are) and you will need to add your airplane to your store account. After that, you're set. And you don't have to make a purchase on the store to set this up, either. Just get the web store account created and you're good to go.

Back