What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Push/pull vernier throttle.

Nick119

All,
I was wondering if anyone made a push/pull and vernier throttle (without having to press a button). I like the vernier for cross countries and descents, but would like a push/pull for aerobatic and formation. Does anyone make one that does both? Thank you.

Mcfarlane

I have all Mcfarlane controls. Like em a lot. Haven’t done aerobatics (yet?) but fly loose formation and the micro adjustment on the throttle is excellent for maintaining distance and speed.

Attachments

• 53FFE760-2382-4D0E-810F-1D088FF49597.jpg
    53FFE760-2382-4D0E-810F-1D088FF49597.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 162
Another vote for the McFarlane vernier-assist. As much as we use the throttle, not sure why everybody doesn't have one. Once you have one you'll wonder how you ever flew without it.

Also, McFarlane is an advertiser on this site.

Another vote for the McFarlane vernier-assist. As much as we use the throttle, not sure why everybody doesn't have one. Once you have one you'll wonder how you ever flew without it.

Also, McFarlane is an advertiser on this site.

I'm curious how the sliding resistance feels on the assist? Is it close to a standard throttle with out Vernier? I currently have the huge handle (start shaped) push button Vernier and there is so much resistance it is annoying. Wanting to get into formation and aerobatics so I need to dump the current throttle for something without a push button lock, but dont want to give up the vernier control.

Appreciate the feedback!

The 12's use them.

Very nice to use, no issues with push and pull.

Micro adjustments on the vernier are very precise.

Don't pull the knob out before assembly because........ Oh balls.... Everywhere !

Guess what - they have a video on their YouTube channel that tells you how to reassemble it.

;)

The 12's use them.

Very nice to use, no issues with push and pull.

Micro adjustments on the vernier are very precise.

Don't pull the knob out before assembly because........ Oh balls.... Everywhere !

Guess what - they have a video on their YouTube channel that tells you how to reassemble it.

;)

NOTED, thank you very much for the feedback!

I'm curious how the sliding resistance feels on the assist? Is it close to a standard throttle with out Vernier?

Another positive review for the McFarlane. The mechanism has a knurled adjustment for the amount of friction during push-pull - from easy slide (no friction) to locked.

Another positive review for the McFarlane. The mechanism has a knurled adjustment for the amount of friction during push-pull - from easy slide (no friction) to locked.

Good to know Keith, thank you and everyone else who chimed in. Looks like I'll be ordering very soon

I installed one of these a few months ago in my airplane, works as advertised, no complaint. My goal was just as others have said - I want to fly formation which needs rapid throttle movements.

Our airplane started out with the stock ACS engine controls. Throttle with friction lock, prop and mixture with push-button verniers.

At about 180 hours time-in-service the mixture cable started to get sticky. Hmmm... that was my clue to order new controls.

The folks at MacFarlane were terrific to deal with. They did exactly what they said they would do, when they said they would do it. The new cables arrived very well packaged.

Installation was straightforward and yes, minding the balls is absolutely necessary (but not hard to do).

The first time I actuated the controls was truly an "Aha!" moment. The ACS controls had always felt, well... cheap. The MacFarlane controls feel like a true luxury product.

In flight I've found I rarely use the vernier on the throttle but when I do it functions flawlessly. "Drag" on the control is easily adjusted with the tension collar. In fact the only niggly complaint I have is with that tension collar which feels like it wants some oil to help it rotate more easily. I may try just a little drop of gun oil on its threads (not on the vernier mechanism itself).

Overall my experience has been so positive that I advise those who are building to skip the intermediate step of installing ACS controls and waiting for them to fail. Instead just pony up the cash and install the MacFarlane controls right from the get-go and you'll be a much happier aircraft owner.

Back