What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Install?

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
Do the non-Van's AOA/pitot setups install differently than the stock ones? I have been planning all along to use a heated/regulated pitot, but since I'm a ways from deciding about Garmin or Dynon avionics, I wasn't planning on installing the actual pitot for awhile. However, while working on the wings I did follow the plans and upsize the rivet hole in the skin and spar flange as described. Now I'm looking at the pitot masts that other people have installed, and I'm wondering if I screwed up by drilling this hole. Can the Garmin or Dynon pitot use that location, or do I now have an extra hole in my skin and spar that can't be used?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    43 KB · Views: 140
Yes, you now have an extra hole. The mast types basically mount to the skin behind the spar. You can fill the hole with a plastic snap plug or a capped AN fitting. The masts I've seen look like they're meant to sit partly over the spar flange (here), so you might need to jog it a few inches to the side or notch it around your hole.

TTT...

I just bought a RV9A with the standard pitot tube from Van's. I want to install a heated pitot. Since not the builder, how much difficulty am I in for? Any tips/gottcha's to be aware of?

I am going to be upgrading my RV7 with Dynon AOA/ heated pitot and the Dynon autopilot.

My first question is location.

The autopilot goes on the left wing bell crank.
Where do I put the pitot?

Second.

I am going have to run additional wires and pressure tubing for both of these.
Right now, the only wiring is going to wing lights via a conduit.

I can cut into the conduit but I don't think there will be room for all the extras and pressure tubing.

How do I make holes in the last 3 ribs near the fuselage to hole the wires and tubes?

Max

I’d like to pile onto the question about retrofitting an RV-9 with the standard pitot in hopes of installing a heated pitot without a lot of complications. I have the same situation. Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

The autopilot goes on the left wing bell crank. Where do I put the pitot?

...I thought the AP servo usually goes in the right wing, specifically because the left one is full of pitot hardware? Hmm. I haven't got to that part of my build yet.

How do I make holes in the last 3 ribs near the fuselage to hole the wires and tubes?

Vans has a wing wiring guide showing where you can enlarge a tooling hole or make a new hole. See also this thread, and this one. As to how, ISTR people saying they did it by removing the wingtip and inserting a very long drill extension through existing holes, and a helper reaching through the inspection cutouts to guide it.

Back