What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check your NuTs!!

Taltruda

Well Known Member
Friend
I debated not posting this, as it wasn’t my plane, but I feel the information is too valuable not to post it. We all know to check those jamnuts, right? Upon doing a WALKAROUND on an RV, I found 4 jamnuts backed way off,, at least 1/8 inch or more. Easy to see.. the plane is 15 years old, that’s 15 condition inspections, three owners, however many other walkarounds..

Attachments

• A79CC8EC-D2A1-4A4A-AC03-464895CC12CA.jpg
    A79CC8EC-D2A1-4A4A-AC03-464895CC12CA.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 343
  • 89781D77-2F9A-431E-93C3-E83F442AF938.jpg
    89781D77-2F9A-431E-93C3-E83F442AF938.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 349
  • E6ADB41B-AAB1-4F4A-A80F-456017C98F77.jpg
    E6ADB41B-AAB1-4F4A-A80F-456017C98F77.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 329
Isn't it an opportunity for the innovators to offer a suitable custom extension to torque these rascals? Anti-Splat?

Nuts

Tom,

Great catch...even on my RV-3 restoration I have found some jam nuts loose from what I would assume to be the builder and previous owners.

Way to go,

Jon

Jam Nut

Here’s a simple tool to hold the Heim Joint and torque the jam nut .

Attachments

• 4FC6A78F-0C65-4167-AFBF-DD7DD764AC0A.jpeg
    4FC6A78F-0C65-4167-AFBF-DD7DD764AC0A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 361
Here’s a simple tool to hold the Heim Joint and torque the jam nut .

Yeah but on a plane that’s already together, that won’t work. I took a box end wrench and cut it open so it’s like a flare tube wrench, then heated and bent it into a S shape. I still had to grind it thinner to fit. I wanted more strength than an open end wrench, and could have just used a flare nut wrench but didn’t want to sacrifice one for it.

Nuts

Yeah but on a plane that’s already together, that won’t work. I took a box end wrench and cut it open so it’s like a flare tube wrench, then heated and bent it into a S shape. I still had to grind it thinner to fit. I wanted more strength than an open end wrench, and could have just used a flare nut wrench but didn’t want to sacrifice one for it.

For as long as that tail has been flying like that …. I’d take the time to remove it and inspect it …then torque properly and reinstall.

SB 14-02-05 to inspect this area for cracking (likely caused by loose jam nuts) was issued 2/2014.

Doesn't speak real highly of the maintenance personal. That's the problem with hiring an A&P to do a condition inspection who is not familiar with the RV series of aircraft.

I'd probably think hard about advising the owner that an extensive inspection might be prudent to see what else may have been missed/neglected over the years.

Last edited:
SB 14-02-05 to inspect this area for cracking (likely caused by loose jam nuts) was issued 2/2014.

Doesn't speak real highly of the maintenance personal. That's the problem with hiring an A&P to do a condition inspection who is not familiar with the RV series of aircraft.

I'd probably think hard about advising the owner that an extensive inspection might be prudent to see what else may have been missed/neglected over the years.

I don’t believe this SB applies to the -9, although I don’t see why.. it should be included..

I did this with a large offset box wrench. Just use the cutting wheel to slice into the box section. Plenty strong enough to torque the jam nut tight enough.
IMG_2385-M.jpg

I did this with a large offset box wrench. Just use the cutting wheel to slice into the box section. Plenty strong enough to torque the jam nut tight enough.
IMG_2385-M.jpg

That’s almost exactly what I bent up with a torch..

Back