What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone in or near KSBD to help?

tass

I just flew into San Bernadino, and soon before landing my RV4s oil temp wire has broken.

The trouble is I am parked at the FBO and while I didn’t ask I assume they are not OK with me doing a quick repair on their ramp.

Does anyone know of a spot I could taxi to and fix it? I have enough tools to get the cowling off and remove the bolt from the gauge’s terminal, and just need to pick up a new ring terminal and wire crimper/stripper.

Can You Fly It?

Corona is 22 miles by air from San Bernardino and Aircraft Spruce is there. They will pick up up and bring you to the store for any needs (terminal, wire, crimper etc).

E

Whiteman

I'd fix it on the ramp until someone said you can't.

If it not fixed yet and you can get it to Whiteman KWHP I have everything you need. I'll pm my number.

Laird

Thanks Laird and E.

I can do a quick fix through the dipstick access panel (strip the wire and wrap it under the bolt) in probably 30 seconds or so which would make it legal to fly, then I could relocate for a better fix whether that's at Chino, Whiteman or otherwise.

The wire is quite thin (22ga?), and gets put under stress during an oil change since it gets moved around when the housing comes off. I'd like to ultimately use a thicker wire on a removable terminal which I hope would be much more resilient and make oil changes slightly easier.

You might want to check your PM’s.

KREI is close you can see it just east of KSBD, lots of friendly pilots and RV’s there.

If you still haven't got this resolved, let me know and I can fly out to you with anything you need.

-Marc
marcwhis at gmail

Thank you!

Thanks everyone for your offers to help, and for all the advice. I love this forum :)

I got it fixed today, but of course found a new problem (but one which doesn't stop me from flying).

Back